Tired of Cold Calling? Use LinkedIn

• 193 posts
    September 5, 2012 10:49 AM PDT

One of the toughest componets of professional selling is PROSPECTING.  We all know we have to do it.  Prospecting allows us to develop new business, replace attrition and stand a chance of reaching and exceeding aggressive budgets. 

Most people think of COLD CALLING when hearing the word prospecting.  While successful cold calling may be a great exercise in learning not to take rejection personally, many salespeople eventually give up when they can't get tangible results.

There is a better way...

My definition of COLD CALLING?  It's where you initiate action with a potential client in an attempt to start a business relationship.  YOU are the one picking up the phone, walking in to their business or attending a networking event.  Here's the major challenge.

Go Away!

It all starts with you making an UNSOLICITED effort to reach out to someone who has not asked you to.  They have not shown any interest in what you have to offer.  They don't know you and may not have any DESIRE to know you.  To them at this point, you are just another salesperson making promises they can't keep to make a commission.  Once bitten, always shy.  If you get past the screener, you've accomplished a lot.

Stiff Upper Lip

This is where you have to learn not to take this rejection PERSONALLY.  You have to find a creative way to turn their attitude around to at least committ to seeing you.  After all, it all starts with a face to face appointment for the most part.  There are many clever ways with VALID BUSINESS REASONS to get that first appointment.  I discuss a lot of them in my training programs.  With consistent effort, they will have a ROI.

Think about this.  Wouldn't it be more effective, if they initially reached out to you?

The Benefits

It would be like getting a referral or an introduction from a third party.  The client is REQUESTING a potential relationship.  No longer is this a silly game of cat and mouse.  The business owner or decision is OPTING-IN to the process showing proactivity in you as a professional.

LinkedIn

I realize that the vast majority of you reading this may be aware of LinkedIn.  You may already even have a profile established.  Excellent!  Let's review what LinkedIn is and why it works.

Professional Platform vs. Social Platform

Of all the social media platforms I use, the one that works best for business is LinkedIn...hands down.  It's where business people go to establish a profile and network to start relationships.  Admittedly, some people use the tool for employment purposes and the recruiters are there in spades for that reason.  Don't let that give you a narrow perception of what LinkedIn can do for you.

Use it the Right Way

Remember when the Internet caused businesses to scramble and get a website on-line just to have one?  Websites were poorly thought out and had little results because of it.  Don't rush into LinkedIn by spending 10 minutes putting up a quick profile just to be there.  Your success will totally depend on what you put on your profile and how COMPELLING it is. 

Check out my profile

Take a few minutes to get acquainted with MY LinkedIn PROFILE.  You will need a profile established to access mine.

My profile was designed to give you a detailed look at who I am, what I do, where I've worked, what I believe in and why it would be smart to have me on your team of professionals.

A Complete Profile

You will notice an area to the left called Profile Completeness. Ensure you work on your profile and push it up to 100%. LinkedIn even helps you do this by offering tips on education, groups you belong to and books you have read.  If you are going to be on LinkedIn, why not make the most of the opportunity?

Join some groups - Create One!

Under the Groups heading, you will find great groups to join based on people with similar interests and backgrounds.  As a Sales Trainer, I have created THE SALES FLOOR.  It's a collection of nearly 200 professional salespeople around the world who have the desire to interact and learn FREE OF CHARGE.

I created it because I think that salespeople don't get enough professional training.  THE SALES FLOOR allows all salespeople regardless of experience or tradestyle to ask a question and get an answer.  Have a comment and wish to partcipate?  Simply start a discussion or react to one.  It's that easy.  Check it out!

An Industry Leader

These are the words that you are hoping people use to describe you when they see your profile.  They see your professionalism and personal branding.  They can see have something to offer.  Those are the kind of people prospects REACH OUT TO.  They send you a request for an invitation to simply connect.  You can accept and send a personalized message back.  Fight the urge to ask for an appointment.  That's what a traditional salesperson would do!

Build a Relationship first

Thank them for the connection.  Send them a pertinent article.  Give them value in knowing you.  Do not ask for an appointment.  Let them eventually ask YOU! People buy from those they like and trust.  You bet this takes work.  Anything of value always does.

Here's a GREAT ARTICLE that will give you some great information on LinkedIn.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me.  I'll do my best to help!  If you found this week's PROSALESGUY BLOG useful, please comment below.  Subscribing to the BLOG will have it in your Inbox each time free of charge.

Thanks for reading!

Dave Warawa - PROSALESGUY

• 16 posts
    February 1, 2013 8:40 AM PST

Thanks Dave. I would like to pass on one additional tip for Linkedin and one resource regarding referrals and cold calls.

Tip on linked in requests to connect.

I am often asked what should I do with people asking to connect with me I don't know? I take the approach that maybe they know me and I can't remember and ask, "Hi Joe, Thanks for reaching out to connect. I have been trying to remember where we met and can't come up with it. Can you remind me? If we have not met, what prompted you to reach out to me to connect? How can we help each other?" If someone responds I usually get to know a new person and connect. If they don't, well I just let them go.

No More Cold Calling

Cold calling was my lead life blood for 27 out of my 34 years selling. Seven years ago, when I started Sales Manager Now I stopped cold calling and focused on referrals and sharing value. Last year I met the author of No More Cold Calling (about building a referral system), Joanne Black and decided this is what I will teach my clients. This link will take you to an article on the basics of the system and link to Joannes site if you want to purchase her products.

Referral Article

• 2 posts
    March 7, 2013 6:39 AM PST

Dave I couldn't agree with you more!!   I was never a fan of cold calling and now with social media tools like LinkedIn there's no reason to ever to cold call again.   I recently wrote an article with some of my own observations about how radio sellers can turn their LinkedIn profile into a lead generation machine:

http://www.inboundarts.com/bid/232405/how-to-get-sales-leads-using-LinkedIn

• 193 posts
    March 7, 2013 9:21 AM PST
    Thanks for the comment Stephen. Your blog post is excellent! I love the ABCs of Selling. Not at all being "Always Be Closing." "Always be Connecting!" I feel that the Sales Industry should stop attempting to teach salespeople closing techniques to manipulate someone to buy and spend more time teaching salespeople to source out new people who are looking to buy and help them make the right purchase. This is far more ethical and provides the opportunity for repeat business and referrals.
    • 2 posts
    March 7, 2013 9:33 AM PST

I couldn't agree with you more!  AEs would have a higher close rate if they focused on selling to people they know or are connected to! 

• 193 posts
    March 7, 2013 5:58 PM PST

Thanks for the comment Rene!  My apologies for not responding quicker.  I have already found that many decision makers are much more open to connect and communicate on LinkedIn vs. Traditional Prospecting.  This is probably due to the nature of a new platform.  Everyone wants to be open to new technologies and show their ability to adapt to it.  Yet, I still do recommend some form of prospecting.  Why?  It is the toughest component of the sales process.  It keeps you sharp and teaches you not to take rejection personally.  This is a vital part of being successful in Sales.