The Desk Closest to The Door by Mike Brunel

• 1373 posts
    August 30, 2013 12:06 PM PDT

In The Desk Closest to the Door, Mike Brunel of NRS Media has provided an invaluable guide for the salesperson who is just launching his or her career in media sales.

In his introduction, Mike writes, "For me, good salesmanship is about getting a person's trust, discovering a need and then proposing a solution in a simple and straightforward manner."  He then proceeds to show how this is done, step by step.

Starting at the very beginning -- outlining how to develop and maintain an effective client list -- Mike goes on to explain how to put the client list into action, how to position yourself as a resource to your prospects (before you even meet them), how to make the pitch and ask for the order, and, perhaps most importantly, how to provide outstanding customer service. Along the way, Mike punctuates his book with real-life sales stories that are both entertaining and insightful.

The book includes many gems, including:

• nine traits of successful media salespeople
    • suggestions for creating a personal biography that will help you sell yourself to your clients
    • twelve problem-seeking questions (a great way to open a discussion with a prospect)
    • how to find out what a client's budget is - without asking for it directly
    • tips for writing great thank you notes
    • a very cool bonus on the last page, that you'll have to discover for yourself!

Whether you're just beginning your sales career and are seeking some practical advice and guidance, or whether you've been in sales for a while and are looking for an excellent review of the fundamentals of selling, this book is worth checking out!

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at February 16, 2024 4:04 PM PST
    • 7 posts
    September 2, 2013 6:08 PM PDT

I can thoroughly recommend this book to any media sales person - new or experienced!! Its all about the basics but the basics done well is what makes great sales people.

• 23 posts
    August 24, 2014 4:24 PM PDT

How can I get my hands on a printed book?

• 1373 posts
    August 25, 2014 10:19 AM PDT

Amy, I'm checking into other links, but I'm only finding the Kindle edition on Amazon.  However, Amazon does offer a free version of its e-reader that you can put on a computer.  I'll get in touch with Mike Brunel and see where is the best place to order a printed book.

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at February 16, 2024 4:05 PM PST
    • 7 posts
    August 25, 2014 1:23 PM PDT

Hi Rebecca the only link I have is on Mike's website. You are correct about it being faulty. I'll try to contact Mike and get back to you.

• 1373 posts
    August 26, 2014 10:21 AM PDT

Thanks, Stephen!  I exchanged messages with Mike on Facebook yesterday, and he said he'd get the problem fixed and get back to me.  Appreciate your help!