Forums » RSC Sales & Advertising Library

"Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind" - an Online Slide Deck

• 1117 posts
    May 15, 2014 2:49 PM PDT

Perhaps more than any other single work, Positioning: the Battle for Your Mind by Jack Trout and Al Ries gave rise to the modern branding movement.

Although the concept of positioning was introduced by Jack Trout back in 1969, it did not become popular until the publication of Trout and Ries' landmark book in 1981.

Doing some research online recently, I stumbled across an engaging slide deck that neatly summarizes the book and provides some great illustrations that might be useful to you in preparing presentations for your advertising clients.

• 28 posts
    May 16, 2014 3:29 AM PDT
    One of my favorite marketing books of all time by two of the most prolific writers on the subject of their era. Thank you Rod!
    • 1117 posts
    May 16, 2014 9:22 AM PDT

Larry,

Glad you enjoyed it.

Yesterday I was listening to Al Ries reading the famous piece he co-authored with Jack Trout, "The Eye Vs. The Ear," that first appeared in Ad Age (March 14, 1983) and was subsequently published as a part of "The New Positioning" some years later.  Jim Williams arranged for Ries to read it, so that he could include the audio in his 1986 training series masterwork, which I am in the process of digitizing to share with those who never had the opportunity to learn from Jim.  We'll announce here when it's ready.

In the meantime, you might enjoy listening to his "Smart Call Demo Plan" training here.  It was Jim's last recorded sales training, much of it excerpted from the earlier, larger work and repackaged to focus on selling with demos.  Good stuff!

This post was edited by Rod Schwartz at May 10, 2018 11:37 PM PDT