Shut Up! Stop Talking and Start Making Money - by Dave Warawa

• 1373 posts
    October 13, 2014 12:35 PM PDT

Many of you know Dave Warawa as a frequent contributor to Radio Sales Café; he often shares his blog posts, in which he provides advice and insight on a variety of sales issues.

This year, Dave has published his first book, Shut Up! Stop Talking and Start Making Money.  I just finished reading it, and enjoyed it a great deal.  My overwhelming impression as I made my way through the volume was, “This isn’t just sales theory.  These are principles and tips that you can actually use and incorporate on a daily basis.”

For example, Dave reiterates something we've all heard:  the need for continuing education and motivation to stay at the top of our game.  But then he makes it practical.  Can't afford buying a bunch of new books on sales and personal development?  Go to your local used bookstore and pick up a title or two there.  Have trouble finding the time to read?  Devote just fifteen minutes a day to it - that's not so hard.

This book is probably the most valuable to someone who is embarking on a career in sales, but it’s also a refreshing read for those who have several years under their belt -- it's a good checkup on what you're doing right, and which skills you need to hone. 

Here is a sampling of the topics that Dave covers in this book:

• what makes a true Sales Professional
    • how to learn new sales techniques and make them your own (no stiffly-worded scripts here!)
    • the five success skills of professional salespeople
    • what you are really selling (it may not be what you think!)
    • the factors of price and value
    • the prospect of gain versus the fear of loss
    • tips for effective email and voice mail messages
    • how to take care of your customer after the sale
    • how to have tough conversations with your customer (yes, this include the "money up front" discussion)
    • prospecting and cold calling
    • asking for referrals
    • obtaining testimonials
    • how to negotiate so that you and your customer both win
    • confidence versus ego

In addition to going over the fundamentals, Dave also discusses how the sales professional can take advantage of some relatively new tools that are at his or her disposal:  he explains in depth how to put Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, and blogging to work for you.

In one of the final chapters of his book, Dave includes something that I haven't seen in other sales manuals:  an outline of the stages in the career of a successful sales professional, with advice for each, and a discussion of whether sales management is the right next step for someone who's done well as a sales executive.

All in all, this book is an engaging, fast-paced read, with a wealth of practical information for anyone in sales.  And one more bonus:  it's laid out in such a way that once you've read it, you can quickly find and go back to any particular topic to review key points.  Click on the picture above to check it out for yourself!

• 1373 posts
    January 23, 2015 12:00 AM PST

Exciting news!!! On February 4, Dave will be offering a free sales training webinar exclusive to RSC members; his topic will be the 5 Success Skills of Sales Professionals.  Don't miss it - click here for details & to register!