Chris Lytle: How to Think on Your Feet Automatically (includes T

• 993 posts
    November 24, 2009 9:02 PM PST
    During the 1980's and 1990's, Chris Lytle was perhaps our industry's preeminent sales trainer. A gifted speaker and teacher, Chris has inspired and educated countless radio advertising sales professionals, myself among them. He created engaging, fast-paced seminars for both radio advertisers and radio advertising salespeople, teaching them how to create better commercials and campaigns and make the most of our medium. (His USP was to provide "more usable information-per-minute" than anyone else in the business.)

Chris has graciously consented to my request to post here for members of Radio Sales Café a presentation he originally published in the 1980s, entitled, How to Think on Your Feet Automatically. It includes his compilation of The 40 Best Things Ever Said About Radio.

According to Chris, "The big idea was for the salesperson to listen to it three times a day for a week, then twice a day for a week, and then once a week for life. That way no objection would throw a salesperson. I've gotten away from teaching rote answers to objections, but it's good to have this knowledge."

Feel free to download the MP3. Typical of Chris' style, it's packed with information. Running time is a little over twenty minutes, perfect for listening in the car on your daily commute, while you're running on the treadmill or working out in the gym, taking a walk, etc.

By all means, please share your own thoughts on the material, particularly if you've found something especially helpful.

And thanks, Chris, for making it available to our members!
    • 8 posts
    November 25, 2009 4:18 AM PST
    Rod,
    I am a huge fan of Chris Lytle. I have not had the opportunity to hear this one but i am really looking forward to
    using it with my sales team!!
    Tiffany Kayser
    Maverick Media of Lima
    • 3 posts
    November 25, 2009 6:05 AM PST
    I've already got this one put on a CD to share in the office!

Thanks Rod - and Chris!

Lyn Stoyer, Columbus, OH
  • November 25, 2009 6:29 AM PST
    Rod,

I’m new to the radio industry and love it more and more every day. Thank you for posting this audio of Chris Lytle, I have faced almost all of the objections he covered in my mere 4 months as an Account Executive. I plan to continue to listen to the audio and hopefully improve “thinking on my feet”!

Thanks again!
    Emma Bissonnette
    • 993 posts
    November 25, 2009 9:30 AM PST
    Emma,

If I may suggest three books to help you become an expert (and become known as an expert) in solving your clients' problems, they'd be Chris' book, THE ACCIDENTAL SALESPERSON - which as a "newbie" I think you'll really enjoy - David Ogilvy's CONFESSIONS OF AN ADVERTISING MAN (out of print, but shows up occasionally on Amazon and eBay), and Claude Hopkins' MY LIFE IN ADVERTISING/SCIENTIFIC ADVERTISING. Add these three to whatever other training you're receiving, and you'll thank me for the recommendation!

Also, don't hesitate to bring questions/problems/objections/opportunities to the members of RSC. There's an amazing wealth of talent and experience here, and I'm pleased to say that many veterans are very gracious about sharing their expertise with others. Jenna Fox's post on Opening the Sales Call is a good illustration of this.

Happy Thanksgiving!

-Rod
    • 3 posts
    November 29, 2009 12:17 PM PST
    Years ago as a young radio salesperson, I had this cassette in my car and listened to it over and over and over again. Got the chance to see Chris Lytle years later and had him sign my copy of The Accidental Salesperson. He's always been a great asset to the Radio Industry!

Thanks for posting. Brings back great memories and the information is still just as relevant today.

~Don Bedell
    theRadio.biz
    • 13 posts
    November 30, 2009 10:58 AM PST
    I'm one of Chris Lytle's "frequent flyers" having been to nine of his seminars, by my count, during the '80s and '90s. Thanks for making another of his "teachings" available!
    • 12 posts
    November 30, 2009 2:23 PM PST
    Have this audio that Rod is sharing.......it's very good!!

Jeff Wilson
    • 10 posts
    December 8, 2009 2:24 PM PST
    A must read is "The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Marketing" Michael Corbett.
    The book can be found on Amazon for $10.00

This book will teach you how to make advertising work! And with the right knowledge, you'll avoid making huge marketing mistakes, that your clients and sales manger will encourage because of misinformation or selfish desires. Your goal is to sell clients and make the ads.

It's a simple read that will give you step by step instructions.

The new world of radio is accountability and less about PPM
    • 53 posts
    June 22, 2012 9:33 PM PDT

Thanks, Rod!

Sherna