Direct cold call or email.

• 74 posts
    July 22, 2016 8:16 PM PDT

So this week was our roll out to sell gorilla style with our new translator coverage. In our general market the employee is usually the business owner. If is it a absentee owner, I usually don't waste time (usually the local manger can't make decisions). I will contact them via email, and usually have some degrees of success.

In this new territory, I'm running into more of "were they expecting you or do you have an appointment"

I'm old fashioned, and I like to meet the a prospective client in person, and I'm not afraid to go back until I get a answer.

My questions is how many of you you do more introductions via email vs cold calling. How long do you wait before you do a followup.

If you get the gatekeeper, and they say they will pass on your information, do you email them to ask if they got the information.

On a related note: If you have a local promotion (such as high school football) do you send out a email to potential clients. What is your process, and how does that work for you.

• 4 posts
    July 29, 2016 1:28 AM PDT

A method I've found that works for me is, I send out 20+/- letters, addressed to the owner every couple of weeks. In the letter, I just ask them if they have ever considered advertising on the radio. Then I mention that I will call them on a specific day and time (like Tuesday between 9a-10a) to see if I can set up a 15 minute meeting. Then I call at the time I said I would and ask for the owner by name. When the gatekeeper answers the phone, I say Mr/Ms is expecting my call. I usually either get to the decision maker or "they aren't available". If they aren't available, I have to assume that they aren't interested...at this moment.

If I send out 20+/- letters, I average about 4 appointments and a few maybe's down the road.

Also, I never cold call on a new client. To many people popping in demanding face time. I either use the "letter" introduction or a phone call. I've been doing this for 21 years at the same station...I just wish I could convince my salespeople that this method has its advantages.

Best of Luck,

Ken Wood/GSM

Zone Radio/WKIT

Bangor, Maine

• 7 posts
    July 29, 2016 1:31 PM PDT

Hi Damon,

I can't really add much to the good idea that Ken Wood has (below), except that selling "gorilla style" would involve sweltering inside a big hairy costume and most likely frightening receptionists and potential clients. You might prefer selling "guerrilla style” (author Jay Conrad Levinson’s term), which is much more comfortable… even if you choose to dress as Che Guevara!

Good luck,

Richard Teimer
    Chief Sales Therapist
    Time Capsule, Inc.
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts

• 74 posts
    July 30, 2016 2:52 PM PDT

Hey gorilla style got attention , and comments, and it restores my faith.. people do read the small print. LOL.

Thanks for the comments.