High School Football

• 19 posts
    July 11, 2017 9:03 AM PDT

Our morning guy at our new station is a well-known (in the area) sports commentator. He pitched the idea of doing live play-by-play high school football this fall. We're all in. Would you be willing to share your packages? I saw the Friday Poll thread on the subject, and it is quite helpful. My problem is I'm not a sports person, so I don't know how many avails there might be in a typical high school football game. 

This post was edited by Mike Phillips at July 11, 2017 9:06 AM PDT
    • 26 posts
    August 30, 2017 11:29 AM PDT

In our group, some of the smaller markets do exceptionally well with this. Not having a pro or even college team in the market helps. In my market, it's a harder sell because we have the WVU Mountaineers in town and support tends to go up to that level. We cover many local schools' games throughout the state on our stations, and then feature a Friday night recap show that stays on the air until the very last score comes in that night. Then we also have a statewide show on Wednesday evenings to preview the weekend games and a Saturday morning recap show. All are well listened too and generate strong revenue. It's also grown into digital revenue and a smartphone app for some markets.

You can see/tune in online at WVMetroNews.com or one of my stations WAJR.com on a Friday night, Wednesday night between 7-9pm or Saturday morning at 8am to hear how we do it.

• 2 posts
    August 8, 2021 4:33 PM PDT

we're doing something pretty fun...I'll be heading out to the practice field this week to capture audio from the football players on our 2 high school teams and let them play "guest dj" for FIRED UP FRIDAY - what song gets you fired up for the big game - "This is Timmy Johnson - i play right tackle for the Boerne Greyhounds - and here's "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor - this is Fired Up Friday on Boerne Radio 103.9FM!"  - we all know he has no idea who Survivor is - we'll figure it out...but they kids will listen and the parents will listen as they are driving to the game!

(how do you upload the package)

• 1373 posts
    August 9, 2021 10:49 AM PDT

That is a GREAT idea, Baron - thanks so much for sharing!

RE: your question, how to upload the package . . . what kind of file are you trying to share? If it's a pdf, you're welcome to email it to me ([email protected]), and I can convert it to a .jpg and add it to your post. If audio, here's the link: Upload Commercial(s) - Radio Sales Café (radiosalescafe.com)