Friday Poll: What Sales Book Are You Reading Right Now?

• 993 posts
    January 5, 2018 6:05 AM PST

Happy Friday, Everyone - the first of the new year.

Today's Poll Question comes from our friend Chris Lytle, sales trainer and best-selling author of The Accidental Salesperson and The Accidental Sales Manager. Last month, Chris' third book, 23 Shockingly Simple Sales Ideas, hit the streets and is getting unanimous 5-star reviews. Chris has graciously sent us ten signed copies, which will be awarded in a random drawing from among all members who respond to this week's two-part Poll Question by the end of the month:

What Sales Book Are You Reading Right Now,

and What Idea Have You Applied?

Please post your reply below. We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes for a successful and happy 2018 - and good selling!

This post was edited by Rod Schwartz at January 5, 2018 6:10 AM PST
    • 2 posts
    January 5, 2018 8:56 AM PST

So, the book that I'm currently reading wouldn't necessarily fall into the category of "Sales books." However, it is so useful for those of us who are trying to make it in a new market and grow our clientele. It's also so relevant for those of us who write our own copy. The book is called "Originals- How Non-Conformists Move The World." It talks about the concept of what makes a good idea and how the people that have changed the world the most got their start. For instance, it discusses how Picasso wasn't exponentially better than every other artist at the time... He just produced more than they did and hit once in a while based on the sheer volume of what he was creating. I think this is so important when it comes to writing copy. Sometimes, it's easy to just rush words on a piece of paper, but those of us who are really successful in this industry know that the creative is the most important part. Thus, taking the time to write out 10 mediocre scripts in order to get that diamond in the rough is so important. It's the same with making those cold calls. Sure, making 5 cold calls can be exhausting, but if we make 10 and hit one then we're better off. Sometimes volume is key. There are a million things in that book that can be relevant to sales. I'll stop now and encourage you to read it yourself. Be a non-conformist! Especially in this industry... Lord knows that Radio has never conformed. So why should we? 

This post was edited by Amanda Johnson at January 5, 2018 9:21 AM PST
    • 10 posts
    January 5, 2018 9:48 AM PST

Not to sound like an ad for Chris Lytle...but I am currently re-reading "The Accidental Salesperson" Lots of great stuff in the book and useful right now.

• 7 posts
    January 5, 2018 10:26 AM PST

I always take the first week of each new year and re-read Jeffery Gitomer's Sales Bible...of course first I check for any new editions!

Always great tips and good information to review!

• 1373 posts
    January 6, 2018 9:43 PM PST

From Tom Burns: Sales book I just read, this is a bit of a stretch...The newly released  Glenn Miller Declassified. Goes into how important it is to present your offering as unique but with a broad appeal, to make your presentation stand out. Then follow up on every supporting detail.

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at January 6, 2018 9:44 PM PST
    • 1373 posts
    January 6, 2018 9:43 PM PST

From Bill Denkert: I'm rereading the Wizard of Ads books.  Refreshes my memory plus good info to pass on to clients and other salespeople.

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at January 6, 2018 9:44 PM PST
    • 1373 posts
    January 6, 2018 9:45 PM PST

From Rick Murphy: I am listening to Grant Cardones 10X book for the 5th time.  I think it is one of the best sales books of all time.  His ego is hard to get over but he has earned it.  

• 1373 posts
    January 6, 2018 9:46 PM PST

From Sue Tate: I am reading "Fanatical Prospecting" by Jeb Blount. (In fact our whole sales team is reading it.)  I am only about halfway through it, but so far I've learned that prospecting is vital if you want your sales to grow.    He also gives great tips on how to turn prospects into customers.   Good read!  

• 1373 posts
    January 6, 2018 9:46 PM PST

From Chris Walz: I am reading "Brian Tracy's,  The pyschology of Selling.   Happy New Year!

• 1373 posts
    January 6, 2018 9:47 PM PST

From Pete Garcia : I'm not certain this is "Sales" related but I just bought the Grant Cardone book the 10X rule! So far so good, and im learning to give of myself 10X more than all the others to succeed!  

• 121 posts
    January 7, 2018 7:38 AM PST

So much of selling starts with the right mindset, that's why I'm re-reading How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling by Frank Bettger.  This is about the 5th time I've read it.  It's a good refresher to read every couple of years. https://www.amazon.com/Raised-Myself-Failure-Success-Selling/dp/067179437X 

• 8 posts
    January 8, 2018 8:17 AM PST

I'm reading Sales EQ by Jeb Blount.  I haven't used any of the ideas yet, I'm still reading and making notes.

• January 12, 2018 1:44 PM PST

10X by Grant Cardone.....a great take on increasing effort for results that will exceed what you thought possible.....I'm making more calls, which is leading to more sales.

• 11 posts
    January 26, 2018 6:18 AM PST

Secret Formulas of the Wizard of Ads.  Just started reading, so haven't tried anything yet!  Good stuff though.

• 1373 posts
    January 26, 2018 9:24 AM PST

From April Bliss: Jack Canfield, The Success Principles, #1 Take 100% Responsibility for Your Life.  I love this book and it's principles so much that I became a Certified Canfield Success Principles Trainer.  I lead workshops and train my sales staff, radio clients, individuals and organizations in the principles.    

• 1373 posts
    January 26, 2018 9:25 AM PST

From David Kuehn: Off the radar, but a solid realistic approach : "Cold Calling is a Waste of Time - Sales Success in the Information Age" Frank J. Rumbauskas Jr.

• 993 posts
    January 27, 2018 12:33 PM PST

We've had some great suggestions in this thread. Thanks to everyone who's shared what they're reading.

Scott Adams, the Dilbert cartoonist, is also an author/blogger of some renown, and a trained hypnotist. He recently shared a list of what he considers to be the best books to read on the art of persuasion. Here they are, in the order he recommends:

• Influence – by Robert B. Cialdini PhD
    • How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life – by Scott Adams
    • Win Bigly – By Scott Adams (Persuasion Tips based on the 2016 election)
    • Impossible to Ignore – Dr. Carmen Simon
    • Trump: The Art of the Deal – Donald J. Trump
    • What Every BODY is Saying – by Joe Navarro
    • The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business – by Charles Duhigg
    • Thinking, Fast and Slow – by Daniel Kahneman
    • Salt Sugar Fat – by Michael Moss
    • Pre-Suasion – By Robert B. Cialdini PhD
    • Win Your Case: How to Present, Persuade, and Prevail–Every Place, Every Time  – by Gerry Spence
    • How to Win Friends & Influence People – by Dale Carnegie
    • The Design of Everyday Things – by Don Norman
    • How to Write a Good Advertisement – by Victor O. Schwab
    • The Secret to Selling Anything – by Harry Browne
    • The One Sentence Persuasion Course – 27 Words to Make the World Do Your Bidding – by Blair Warren

• 993 posts
    February 1, 2018 10:10 PM PST

Winners have been drawn for the Chris Lytle books. Congratulations to:

1. Allen Bailey
    2. April Bliss
    3. Mark Buss
    4. Bill Denkert
    5. Sue Englehardt
    6. Pete Garcia
    7. Scott Howard
    8. Rick Murphy
    9. Troy Storhoff
    10. Chris Walz

Please message or email me with your mailing address, and your signed copy of Chris Lytle's 23 Shockingly Simple Sales Ideas will be winging its way to you soon.

Thanks to all who participated in the thread, and to Chris for generously donating copies of his new book!