Friday Poll: How Does Your Station Give Back to the Community?

• 993 posts
    September 13, 2018 10:48 AM PDT

Today's question stems from a presentation I'm putting together: The Role of Traditional Media in a Digital World - which I look forward to sharing when it's finished. In preparation, I'm soliciting input from RSC members on how your radio station promotes your city/town/community.

We all know that radio advertising helps local businesses to grow and prosper and that thriving businesses benefit the local community, directly and indirectly, through sales tax revenues and donations to local nonprofits and services.

But beyond providing advertising to your local businesses:

How does your station contribute to the health and well-being of your community?

In what ways do you promote your community's growth or quality of life?

Look forward to hearing examples of what you've done or are doing to promote a thriving local community. Thanks!

This post was edited by Rod Schwartz at September 13, 2018 10:16 PM PDT
  • September 14, 2018 6:49 AM PDT

We incorporate fundraisers into local events.  For example, during our most recent BBQ festival, we added a dunking booth to our regular station publicity booth.  We enlisted volunteers from the local banks, college and newspaper to get dunked.  Our DJs also got dunked.  All proceeds from the dunking both went to our local Humane Society.  We were able to raise $1,500 for the animal shelter in just one day.

We also promote and participate in food drives, prom dress donations, Boy Scout projects, etc.  We have a monthly 30-minute on-air discussion with local educators, highlighting challenges students face and what the teachers are doing to help keep kids happy and engaged in school.  We invite local law enforcement to come in and record PSAs to help them be a little more relatable to the public.

We give 10 free PSAs to all groups conducting health fairs and local church and community festivals.  

• 1373 posts
    September 14, 2018 10:35 AM PDT

From Noel CONNET: WE DO A SWIM PARTY AND RESOURCE FAIR THAT'S TOTALLY FREE TO ALL. WE INVITE THE COMMUNITY TO COME SWIM AT THE LOCAL POOL AS WELL AS INVITING OUR LOCAL NON-FOR PROFIT TO SET UP FOR FREE WITH A RESOURCE FAIR. FROM AFFORDABLE HOUSING, GIRL AND BOYS SCOUTS, FIRE DEPARTMENT ETC. WE HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCESS WITH CONNECTING THE COMMUNITY TO THE AVAILABLE RESOURCES IN OUR AREA. THE PERK AFTER THE SWIM WE END UP GENERATING MORE REVENUE FROM THE RESOURCES WE INVITE WHEN THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE DONE SO IN THE PAST, A GREAT WAY TO CONNECT THE COMMUNITY TOGETHER.

• 11 posts
    November 19, 2018 11:23 AM PST

Our station "Tag Line" or "Motto" is "Your Community Involved Station" because we do TONS of things to give back. We have daily in studio guests in to talk about their events, fundraisers, even if they are a small business, and NOT an advertiser we invite them in. Yes I know that advertising is the key to our survival, but I have found the old saying to be true "Do unto others" , we have plenty of business, and still growing. The list of things we do in the community is honestly really long, but we are thankful to be a part of it. We are only 6 years old and have been nominated one year, and won the "Community Investment Award" this year from our Chamber of Commerce, we have won the "People Choice Award" we have won an award from the State called the "Outstanding Service Award", the ONLY station in the entire state to receive it, and now we are one of three finalists for "Small Employer of the Year" for the entire state of Texas! All for our community efforts. We are thankful and blessed!