Selling Multi-Year Agreements

• 1373 posts
    January 1, 2019 11:13 PM PST

Selling Multi-Year Agreements      

by Pat Bryson

I hope by now you have been talking with all your clients about 2019. In fact, I hope you've been doing so for the past two months. I'm sure you've encountered objections to scheduling longer than a few weeks or months:

"I'm not sure radio works. You'll have to prove it to me with this week's schedule."

"I want to test you. I'll agree to three months."

"Business is too uncertain to plan my advertising 12 months in advance."   

Selling long-term advertising has always been a challenge. Clients are hesitant to agree to more than a few weeks or months. And yet, most advertising is about placing our clients' businesses into the file drawers of our listeners' minds. Our clients must be one of the first two or three names that comes to mind when our listeners need their products or services.

We all know it takes time to do this. It takes consistency, repetition and relevance.  Making our clients a house-hold name does not happen in a week, a month or even a few months.  In fact, noted brain researcher Evian Gordon tells us that it takes 1000 repetitions of a message to change a habit.  This equates to 2.8 years if our listeners heard or saw the message one time per day.

Which leads me to believe that we need to rethink how we sell radio, TV or newspaper advertising.  Instead of asking for a few weeks, months or even a year, why not ask for THREE years? FIVE years? To create the most effective campaigns possible for our clients, we need to make sure that the campaigns are LONG ENOUGH to have impact. And "long enough" is not a few weeks or months.

We don't get three or five-year agreements because WE DON'T ASK FOR THEM! We wimp out. We accept the crumbs from the advertising buffet because we don't have the internal fortitude to stand our ground, explain how advertising works, and insist that it be done correctly.  

I introduced this concept to a new group of sellers in October. I received a note from their sales manager last week telling me that one of his sellers had upsold a client 66% monthly and signed him for three years!

I challenge you to try this. Just change the end date on your campaigns.You may be surprised how often your client will say, "Yes".

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pat Bryson is the founder of Bryson Broadcasting International, a consulting firm that works with radio stations around the world to increase revenue by raising the skill level of their sales staffs. Her client list spans from the United States to Canada, Europe, Central Asia and Australia.

She publishes the Bryson Broadcasting International Newsletter twice monthly and is the author of A Road Map To Success In High-Dollar Broadcast Sales.

You may contact Pat at [email protected] or visit her website at http://www.patbryson.com.

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at January 1, 2019 11:15 PM PST