Marketing Radio

• 58 posts
    January 11, 2019 5:15 AM PST

We constantly tell people that they need to market their business yet sometimes we fail to market ourselves.  What kind of marketing does your station do to promote itself?  

• 121 posts
    January 11, 2019 12:01 PM PST

Fortunately where I am now, we are a household name with a 90 year history.   However.... I  do my own marketing and starting this year I'm adding another part with a weekly marketing tips newsletter.

I've had my own website and blog with weekly articles and nearly two years ago started a podcast that now has over 8,000 listens.

Once I launch the newsletter, I am going to be doing a 60 second version that will air on our stream.  (We have different ads that air when people are listening online, that are different from our AM/FM over the air signal.)

I'm actually paying for the newsletter service which up until now was offered to radio stations and not individuals.  But I wanted to set myself apart from my co-workers so this will be my baby and it's market exclusive.

When I worked for stations that had more open unsold inventory, we would air ads inviting people to contact us to get on the radio.

This post was edited by Scott Howard at January 11, 2019 12:02 PM PST
    • 4 posts
    January 18, 2019 7:37 AM PST

I use Twitter and an app called autopost that post now playing songs with the images of the album's cover. However, I do it once a month for a few days because some followers using their Twitter notification feature to receive emails of every Twitter post will become annoyed and stop following the station. To combat that situation, post an announcement to make them aware that their inboxes ( paraphrased) will contain many posts from the station over X amount of days.

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at January 18, 2019 12:31 PM PST