Issues with sales reps getting signed orders?

• 1373 posts
    May 17, 2019 3:46 PM PDT

Scott Soderling asks, "Does anyone have issues with your sales reps. getting signed orders? If so, what are some of the ways that you use to get the hard signatures?"

• 1 posts
    May 31, 2019 5:20 AM PDT

Scott we have all new clients sign contracts.  If it is an existing client with a successful track record of payment on time then a signature shouldn't be necessary.  It might come down to if the sales rep doesn't get a signed order then they don't get paid their commission!  We pay on collections not billing so if that's the case no one wants to work for nothing!

This post was edited by Gene Kuntz at May 31, 2019 5:20 AM PDT
    • 1373 posts
    May 31, 2019 11:19 AM PDT

From Jerry Baker: Scott, We always ask for the signed contract. When we write the order, we just simply go over the Contract with the client and ask them "Is This Correct?", when they reply "it is", we say all we need is to get your approval on the form and we can get it into our system so we can get it on the air for you. We don't have any issues with the signatures. It is Station Policy.

• 121 posts
    May 31, 2019 4:53 PM PDT

Even though it is not the policy of the company I have worked for during the past 6 years, I ALWAYS get a signature for all my orders for all clients that I've had for the past 16 years.

90% of my clients are local direct and I create a custom proposal for them with a place for their signature and for mine too.  There is power in them putting their signature on paper that we have formed a partnership and agreement to move forward.

The other 10% of my clients are thru an agency and they send a purchase order, OR I get an email confirmation at the very least. 

This protects me/us if we ever have a misunderstanding as to what we agreed to and in the rare cases that we would have to threaten to take someone to court to get payment, we have proof.

I see that you are in the Traffic Department.  In order for us to enter an order, we need to have the business in out traffic and billing system.  We use Wide Orbit.  That requires a Credit Application that includes 3 credit references.  If they don't have credit references, then I  have them fill out a credit card form and we bill them monthly in advance.

Only once in the past 6 years have I lost money due to non-payment and it was from a small promoter who had his assets frozen due to a nasty divorce.

By the way, if  anyone would like a copy of a credit application, credit card form and/or sample of a proposal with a signature line, write me: [email protected]

• 13 posts
    September 5, 2019 2:23 PM PDT

Sales Adjustments is the name you give an error that results in the Radio station's inability to bill the customer. Sales Adjustments are not bad debt write-offs. Sales Adjustments happen when someone in the Radio station causes an error in execution for which you cannot bill the client. 

• Running the commercials outside of the time slot ordered.
    • Running the commercials on the wrong day.
    • Running the commercials past the end date.
    • Running the wrong commercial.

Sales Adjustments are usually something that could have been avoided if the written instructions were clear AND approved by the client. 

Consequently, the original contract should be signed by the client and all subsequent change orders to the original contract. Cancellation orders should also be signed. 

It is for the client's benefit as much as it is for the Radio station's benefit. 

Signatures are required everywhere in business today. You have to sign when you drop off your car for repairs. You have to sign a credit card receipt. The signature represents the agreement. 

This post was edited by Spike Santee at September 5, 2019 2:26 PM PDT