Ten Reasons Your Advertising Didn't Work

• 19 posts
    December 5, 2019 7:13 AM PST

Sometime long ago, as I recall, there was a publication entitled "Ten Reasons Your Advertising Didn't Work." It was a great piece. Even though it's probably on one of my hard drives somewhere, I'm unable to locate it. Does anyone remember that document? If so, can you share? The title is only approximately correct. It may have been an RAB publications. 

• 993 posts
    December 5, 2019 10:06 PM PST

Mike,

I just checked RAB and my search yielded no results. Long shot, but might you be thinking of Roy H. Williams' "The Ten Most Common Mistakes in Marketing," the 2016 update to his original "12 Most Common Mistakes in Advertising" originally published in his first book, The Wizard of Ads?

There have been many discussions here at RSC on the subject (why advertising isn't working) - such as this one I shared several years ago from a blog post by Jeff Sexton, one of the Wizard of Ads® partners.

Lists such as these can be helpful tools for opening or directing useful conversations with clients or prospects.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

• 19 posts
    December 6, 2019 6:25 AM PST

Rod, thanks for these resources. They are excellent and helpful. As luck would have it, after I slept on it, I did another search and was able to find the article. Here is a link to it. I trust you and the other members here will also find it helpful. 

12 Causes of Advertising Failure

• 993 posts
    December 18, 2019 6:12 PM PST

Mike, glad you found it.

That site, Radio Advertising Facts, is a wonderful resource conceived and compiled by group owner Larry Fuss, a terrific broadcaster and friend of GBS and Radio Sales Cafe.

There are two recorded presentations of that material by its author, Roy H. Williams (aka The Wizard of Ads®). One was on a VHS cassette (Tape #9) from a set of 12 VHS tapes, called Wizard of Ads Academy, an advertising course Williams made available to radio stations across the USA and Canada, in exchange for promoting his first book, The Wizard of Ads. (I still have my copy!) These videos have been uploaded to the video archives at ASBI, a division of Wizard Academy. In addition to the Monthly Ad Class taught by Roy H. Williams and Daniel Whittington, chancellor of Wizard Academy, subscribers have access to their extensive collection of videos and online courses. 

Roy recorded a second version of the "12 Most Common Mistakes" presentation several years later and made it available as a standalone DVD. I purchased several copies to share with advertisers in the interest of getting them on the same page with me. It is now available as a streaming video for just $1.99 for lifetime access, according to this page at Wizard Academy Press. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The principles are timeless.

This post was edited by Rod Schwartz at December 18, 2019 6:17 PM PST