Forums » New Strategies for the 2nd Half of 2020

Restaurant Bingo Promotion

• 1113 posts
    May 13, 2020 2:54 PM PDT

This idea was given to me last month by Spike Santee, who in turn had received it from a friend. I modified some of the details provided by Spike to make it fit our situation here in Pullman, Washington, and after launching it this week thought I would pass it along.

We decided to call our promotion "Foodie Bingo" to appeal to listeners who consider themselves to be foodies, and also so that we could include food places that are not restaurants but are still a good fit.

We used three print pieces, a promotion overview, sponsor sign-up sheet (below), and the bingo card. Feel free to use them as inspiration for your own contest, if you decide to pursue it.

In order to avoid the whole "lottery" issue (prize+chance+consideration), we took the element of chance out of the equation. This promotion rewards all players who make qualifying purchases through a certain date or until the prize supply has been exhausted, whichever first.

Originally we were hoping to have 16 or 25 participants (i.e., a 4-row/column or 5-row/column bingo card). We ended up with 17 participants and were stymied about how to design the card. My wife Paula came up with a brilliant solution: use "Player's Choice" to label the unsold squares, allowing customers to choose their own favorite restaurants within the sponsor group to fill those spaces.

We kept the prices low so that they would not present a barrier to participation. Sponsors were required to provide 5 gift cards as part of the package, giving us 85 total prizes. 

One of the additional benefits of doing this promotion has been getting new prospects on our radar for long-term advertising, businesses that prior to this time no one had been calling on.

Here's our sponsor sign-up sheet (below) and a couple of the promo spots we're running. 

This post was edited by Rod Schwartz at May 13, 2020 2:55 PM PDT
    • 8 posts
    May 29, 2020 8:27 AM PDT

Question for you.  Wouldn't this still be considered a "lottery" because you need to pay something to play?  Maybe I'm just confused.

• 1113 posts
    June 21, 2020 5:32 PM PDT

Sue, just saw this today. Sorry to be answering so late.

Payment by itself does not constitute a lottery. It is just one of the three elements, all of which must be present for a lottery to exist. They are: 1) prize; 2) chance (e.g., random drawing); and consideration (payment of some sort). The Foodie Bingo promotion as described above has removed the element of chance; it's strictly meritorious.

This post was edited by Rod Schwartz at June 21, 2020 5:33 PM PDT