Forums » New Strategies for 2021

Building Sales Increases in 2021

• 106 posts
    February 5, 2021 11:43 AM PST

Replacing lost dollars due to Covid meant getting a bit more creative and thinking outside the box.

The station I worked for went to those who weren't frequent radio users. Two examples:  a solar company and a water well drilling company. 

Getting creative with traditional advertisers. Restaurants took it hard last year. I found a few ready to ask for the business. From a creative standpoint, I proposed 6 lunch specials for $6 served at your table within 6 minutes. I figured 6 is a perfect number after hearing to stay 6 feet away from everyone. The concept was why settle for fast food when you can enjoy a wholesome home cooked meal for a fast food price served quickly enough that you don't have to rush through your meal to get back to the office in time. The 6 lunch specials took a 'haircut' of 95 cents to $1.95 but they are the most popular menu items for the lunch run. With restaurants at 50% capacity, it was not overwhelming for the staff to have your meal in front of you within 6 minutes.

In an attempt to bolster per client spending, I looked for a 50% increase in co-op spending for 2021 in order to offer those little PR packages we sell through the year and high school sports at 50% of the usual rate. All in all the client pays 25% more monthly to get advertising that not only keeps them top of mind but infiltrates their good name in many areas of the average person's life. I don't have to cave on the rate per unit because the co-op makes up for the discount. In other words, I just played with the numbers. 

For those that were sporadic advertisers, I suggested they pick a monthly number and go all year long. For most, it was about a 20% increase over the prior year.

Something unique I suggested and got approval on is the NO PENALTY CANCELLATION. Sign up for a year and if you ever get uncomfortable, we'll tear up the contract and hope to earn your business in the future. My thought is once we become a staple monthly expense, we stay put. When a client asks why the no penalty cancellation, I say because it puts all the responsibility on us to produce the results you need. I say we couldn't operate with or without a no penalty cancellation if we didn't produce results. I say it puts things back on us to earn that annual contract every day and that's where the responsibility should be. That statement alone increased the number of annuals I sell. By the way, all annuals assume a 'until further notice' on their anniversary. I explain that as a protection from rate increases. I find once you become part of the monthly operation expense like the rent or light bill, they stick. As of yet, nobody has cancelled, 18 months running.

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at February 16, 2021 4:25 PM PST
    • 1388 posts
    February 16, 2021 4:21 PM PST

Bill,

I'm a little late in replying to this, but THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing these ideas! I love the $6/6-minute specials for the restaurant, and the no-penalty cancellation idea for annual contracts.

Way to go in serving your customers and making up for lost revenue!

Rebecca