Friday Poll: What's Your Strategy for Breaking out of a Sales Sl

• 1373 posts
    September 17, 2010 12:54 AM PDT
    Happy Friday, everyone!

Here's this week's poll question:

What is your best strategy for breaking out of a sales slump?

Looking forward to reading your replies!
    • 21 posts
    September 17, 2010 4:41 AM PDT
    I would drop everything and go and cold call for a whole day. It would clear my mind give me some new prospects. The creative energy that it takes to talk to people the exercise would jump start me with ideas for my other clients on my list. I know its old school but it worked for me!
    • 4 posts
    September 17, 2010 5:16 AM PDT
    I would make a plan, and include working through the weekend. Cold Calls, all day long, then get some nice groceries and make a nice dinner.
    • 7 posts
    September 17, 2010 5:39 AM PDT
    I think you almost have to start again - go back to basics - identify those prospects who have a valid business need for your services .i.e advertising on your radio stations. They may need to advertise because there is more competition in their market or they need to increase sales or they need to shift stock etc. Doesn't really matter what their issue is - can you help them with their issue? Don't worry about whether they have the budget for the moment. The important thing is that if you worked with them, their businss challenge would be reduced. You need to identity enough of these prospect and then clearly demonstrate to them as to how you can help them!
  • September 17, 2010 5:51 AM PDT
    Busting out of a slump...
    1) Battle against absorbing your own and other peoples negative positions...remain positive in your abilities.
    2) Increase your activity levels on every step of the sales process. A. Increase your appoinment calls (new and renewal) This will allow you to get in front of more potential customers for a Q&A...therefore allowing you to present to more people and giving yourself more opportunities to close the sale.
    The reason your break out or bust out of a slump...is because you WORK out of a slump.
  • September 17, 2010 7:22 AM PDT
    I set my day up every day so I have a couple of prospecting calls, 4 or 5 service calls, and 4 or 5 selling calls. If I go three days in a row without selling anything, I throw that plan out and set up a full day of prospecting calls. It never fails that I sell at least one and have follow ups with a few more, and just like that I am out of the slump.
    • 112 posts
    September 17, 2010 7:32 AM PDT
    I LOVE slumps!! Because they get me thinking again! And I don't cold call. It's just not for me. Maybe it's my background in retail sales that makes me apprehensive because I used to HATE when salespeople interrupted my busy day. I usually bid them a fast farewell..... unless they had something that really interested me. So, what I do on slump days is take another look at my account list and try to come up with some new ideas for my accounts that have dropped off. It's not a cold call because they already know me. And I always get a better response when I stop or call and say "Hey, I have a new idea for you." Who doesn't want to hear a new idea? And if they're not interested, it gives me the opportunity to first ask why they don't like it, and secondly, what WOULD you like to see? That usually gets us talking.
    • 20 posts
    September 17, 2010 7:41 AM PDT
    Lynn,
    What strategies do you use to find new prospects if you do not cold call? I hate cold calling and am looking for other effective methods of finding new business?
    Thanks,
    Julie
    • 13 posts
    September 17, 2010 8:05 AM PDT
    I like to use the RAB website to get some new ideas. I also cold call and visit clients I haven't seen in a while - it usually shakes loose the cobwebs and sparks future business. I also use the promotions calendar on the RAB to find causes I can match clients with. If they won't buy an ROS package, they'll usually support a cause that's near and dear to them. I also keep a binder of motivational articles and sales tips. I will go through the book to re-energize and re-motivate. I hope this helps. Good luck and have a great weekend!
    • 112 posts
    September 17, 2010 8:32 AM PDT
    I usually try to get my current clients to recommend me first. I will ask them if they know anyone else who could benefit from this idea. Of course, if it's a brand new business in town, there is no choice but to cold call, but I do try to find out who I should be asking for before I walk in the door. I can usually find a name by calling the Chamber of Commerce or asking around. Very seldom do I walk in the door or make a phone call and ask for the "manager" or "owner". Sometimes there is no getting around that, but my success rate is so much better when I've done my research.
    • 7 posts
    September 17, 2010 8:37 AM PDT
    I do a few things:

Call all my favorite clients.
    Exercise.
    Remember that every day is a new day with exciting possiblities.
    Listen to some upbeat music.
    Be postive, polite and proffesional even to jerks!
    Ask my Boss for a lead.
    • 51 posts
    September 17, 2010 11:31 AM PDT
    Clear my head...clear my space...start over with a clean slate. Take everything off every piece of furniture in my space. Clean, wipe, polish, dust and vacuum. Pretend it's a new day and a new position. Go through all of the pieces and parts and ask do I really want or need them. Move or replace the plaques and pictures on the wall. If I can, I'll move my desk around and face the new wall. Now, back to basics that brought me here. I feel good!
    • 993 posts
    September 17, 2010 3:03 PM PDT
    Every post I've read here so far has been insightful and encouraging. The only thing I might add would be to make an effort to help someone else (a client or prospective client) to break out of his sales slump. One of the easiest ways to quit dwelling on one's own problems is to find someone else who has a problem and try to help that person.
    • 16 posts
    September 17, 2010 5:25 PM PDT
    For the next three calls, set a goal not to sell, but to ask questions and listen. Take the pressure completely off yourself to perform. When you're worried about making a sale, you give off a desperate vibe. When your goal is to learn about your customers and offer help, you will change the dynamic of the meeting for the better.
    • 14 posts
    September 18, 2010 7:25 AM PDT
    You are the only one who knows you are in a slump. The client does not know. Keep making the calls. If you don't you won't know when the slump is over. In each of our markets we pick up share of revenue because other media sales people don't try as hard in a slump.
    • 1 posts
    September 18, 2010 1:34 PM PDT
    You break out of a sales slump by making more presentations and coming up with new ideas, not the same old tired let me sale you some spots. Ideas sale not spots.

Roz Dorsey
    GM WAPZ Radio
  • September 20, 2010 12:20 PM PDT
    I think you define cold calls differently than I do. I also try to do a lot of research before I make a first call. I always want to know something about what they do, a contact name, etc. Even with a brand new business, I still want to know as much as I can about the place of business. I might even try to get an appointment before the first call. But if it's a first call, it's still a cold call. I almost never walk into a business with no information at all.
    • 1373 posts
    September 20, 2010 2:40 PM PDT
    A couple of replies to the poll, via Twitter: From RSC member Travis Gales: I always go back to the basics. For every "no" I ask for two referrals. I go back to the "bat cave" and invent new tools From Sandy Hubbard: Breaking out of sales slump poll: review sales processes & see if I am forgetting or have lost track of a component.
    • 41 posts
    September 20, 2010 11:41 PM PDT
    I picked up this tip from Kim Duke, the Sales Diva, and have found it to be helpful: when going through a slow sales period, call on a favorite/active customer who enjoys your product(s). The positive feeling resulting from a sale or referral can serve as motivation to persevere until sales pick up again.
    • 1373 posts
    March 24, 2015 12:30 PM PDT

From today's Radio Sales Today email:

DAILY SALES TIP
    Keeping it positive
    Sales advisor Orion Wolff

The old sales axiom that people buy from people they like is true; buying is a very emotional experience. Having a negative attitude makes you less likeable and approachable as a salesperson. Sometimes the biggest sales challenges can be overcome with the proper attitude.

That said, how do you maintain a positive attitude when times are tough? Sure, it's easy to maintain a positive attitude when you're over quota and things are going well; anyone can do this. But true sales professionals maintain a positive attitude despite their challenges and setbacks. The consummate sales professional knows that maintaining a positive attitude will help him/her to overcome adversity and achieve his/her objectives.

Here are 5 simple tips to maintain a positive attitude in difficult times:

1. Don't dwell on your losses. Realize that you will win some and lose some and the next opportunity is around the bend. Dwelling on the past keeps you from living in the present and achieving your goals.

2. Recognize that you bring value to your clients. It's more than your product or service. It's the benefit of doing business with YOU. Help your customers to understand why they should do business with YOU and not someone else.

3. Remember your successes. Realize that you can achieve excellence by repeating positive behaviors and actions. Pay attention to what you did in the past when you experienced success. Harness those behaviors.

4. Avoid time wasters. Don't waste your precious time on naysayers and negative thinking. Associate with those who have similar goals and ambitions. It's amazing what like-minded individuals can achieve when they combine forces.

5. Be genuine. By being genuine and putting others' needs before your own you will benefit from sales. Take the time to genuinely understand your clients' goals, fears and ambitions. It's your job to help them to succeed.