Forums » The Round Table: Brainstorming & Problem-solving

Ideas for an ad for a Travel Agency

• July 28, 2011 6:18 AM PDT

Hello everyone,

I am working on a campaign for a travel agency that has recently opened.  The two women that started the agency are branching out from another established agency.  So what they are shooting for is

1. Let the public know that they are in a new location
    2. Educate the public about the benifits of using an agent as opposed to booking travel online

Any ideas for this campaign would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

Chris

• 1 posts
    July 28, 2011 9:17 AM PDT

Chris,

Any radio ad is about theater of the mind and pretending like the radio is carrying on a conversation with the listener.  You want to emphasize the personal service and the expertise both of these agents bring. Location?? Is it easy to get to?  Most travel agencies online have hidden fees and I would assume this agency wouldn't.

Talk also about booking plans for the holiday, as this is a hot button for many travelers.  Also check out RAB.com for ideas and they recently published an article dealing with the rise in travel agencies again.

I hope this helps

Kevin Altman

Account Manager

Lotus-Fresno

• 5 posts
    July 28, 2011 11:25 AM PDT

Chris, 

Here's an idea that I'm pitching for travel agent. It goes along with Kevins comment about creating the theatre of the mind. There's two different voices - one of someone who bought online, and one of someone who bought with xxx travel agents.

Online Customer: (loud airport background noise) We are so looking forward to getting too _____

Agent Customer:(beach and wave sounds) We are so excited to have gotten here

Online Customer: It was easy, just watched my email inbox for a blow out sale

Agent customer: it was a breeze, I talked with _____travel agents told them what I wanted, and they got back to me with the trip that fit

Online Customer: My family is a little upset at the number of layovers, but I got a great price!

Agent Customer: My family is thrilled: a direct flight and a great price

Online Customer: Like i said, can't wait to get down there! (Airport announcement: Flight xxx to xxxx has been    delayed)

Agent Customer: Like I said, sooo excited to be here (beach server "Can I bring you something to drink?")

ANNCR: don't plan a trip, plan a vacation, plan on ______travel agents.

Ya might need to cut it down, but you get the idea. Just my thoughts.

• July 29, 2011 5:51 AM PDT
    Cameron I love it!!!  That is right along the lines I was looking for.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
    • 5 posts
    August 8, 2011 9:39 AM PDT
    You're welcome, let me know how it goes. I'd love to hear how it sounds produced too if you can?
  • August 16, 2011 1:41 PM PDT

I had an idea for a promotion that at the end, a lucky listener would win a trip somewhere...I'd be happy to email you the power point.  It was called Passport to Paradise....it's a 13 week promotion and generates great revenue.  Your travel agency would be the presenting sponsor in giving away the trip...if you're interested let me know and I'll shoot you what I put together.

Amy

• 5 posts
    August 16, 2011 3:33 PM PDT
    Hi Amy, I'd love to see that if you don't mind sending it to me cheintz@rawlco.com
    • 1113 posts
    August 16, 2011 6:24 PM PDT

Chris,

I'm not currently working with a travel agency, but years ago (before the airlines started competing with TA's by offering web-based direct-to-consumer ticket sales) I had a great client in the local Travel Agents International store, which subsequently was purchased by Carlson-Wagonlit Travel.  The principals, Dave and Margaret Mitchell worked together in the agency every day.  I wrote a series of travel tips for them to voice (alternating lines).  This was their first exposure to local radio, but they did a great job of engaging listeners and providing useful information.  

I couldn't find examples of their spots in my personal archives, but found that the RAB has a couple of them on file.  Here are the links:

http://www.rab.com/secure/audio/mp3audio/travelagents_int.mp3

http://www.rab.com/secure/audio/mp3audio/travelagents_int2.mp3

A couple of years into our advertising relationship, the agency ran a special promotion on our stations in conjunction with WSU's anticipated appearance in the Rose Bowl.  I subsequently recorded an interview with Dave to get his take on the success of the promotion, and that interview became one of several stories we collected for a station presentation tape to give to prospective advertisers.  I recently posted a short blog piece on that presentation, with a link to the audio, should the success story be useful to you in conveying to your client the power of radio to attract business to a travel agency.

Good selling!

• 1 posts
    August 23, 2011 12:34 PM PDT

Well, I think the first objective may be best achieved through a medium OTHER than radio. Since they are branching out, I'd assume they have plenty of client contacts, and a more direct approach is more suitable. Remember, advertising on radio or traditional media is more of a wide-net gamble. The information regarding the move is probably not relevant to the public in general.

Regarding objective n°2, I'd suggest something different than what has been exposed already. Booking trips online has become more and more common, and plenty of people swear by it. That dialogue that was posted contradicts most people's experience. What you want to do is NOT trying to compete at the stuff online booking is good at, but to be more specific on the added value that dealing with a travel agency provides: better information and insights regarding things to do on your destination, and, even more important, safer transaction and added security knowing that your savvy travel agent will be willing to work with you to solve any problems that arise DURING the trip, and not only while booking.

Knowledge and safety are your strong points when competing against online booking. Don't lean too hard on the convenience part, since most people who have ditched travel agents in favour of online booking did so in the name of convenience as well as cutting costs. You need to enforce the elements that are your key added value.

Look around for agencies that do the bulk of their work online, see what they are offering and see how you can show you have some value to add to that. Sites like niche Tourism directories will give you a good list of companies to check out, and some will even let you see some user testimonies. Client experience is where you want to focus on with a campaign. 

• 1 posts
    November 14, 2011 9:27 AM PST

Amy,

Would be interested in seeing the promotion.  If you dont mind, please send to rhana@harvardbroadcasting.com

Ron

• 6 posts
    April 26, 2016 10:29 PM PDT

Hey Amy,

Would love to see the power point to this.  Could you send it to me.  My email is nicole@moosefm.ca

Thanks

• 6 posts
    August 8, 2016 11:01 AM PDT

Hey Amy,

I would be interested in seeing this promotion.  Looking for ideas for the fall.  My email is nicole@moosefm.ca