High School Sports

• 3 posts
    July 28, 2009 8:15 AM PDT
    Our High School Sports season starts in a little over 4 weeks. I am looking for some ideas on specialty sponsorships for the broadcast. We already have the "Player of the Game" and the kick-off sponsored. Looking for what others are doing? You can also e-mail me: [email protected]
    • 993 posts
    July 28, 2009 8:56 AM PDT
    Ron, a recent issue of the Small Market Radio Newsletter was devoted entirely to sports broadcasting and selling sports sponsorships. If you're not a subscriber, I'd encourage you to contact publisher Jay Mitchell about obtaining a copy. As I recall, it was packed with good ideas, planning forms, etc. that might be of help to you. Stations that originate college or pro football broadcasts can be a great resource. You might try to contact Bud Nameck at KXLY in Spokane (they originate WSU football) - Cougar Sports Radio Network - 509-329-5040 or 509-994-7788 - and see if he might be willing to share some ideas with you. They seem to do a great job of identifying and selling sponsorships throughout their game broadcasts. Good luck!
    • 3 posts
    July 28, 2009 9:32 AM PDT
    I am an SMRN subscriber. There was some good ideas but no specific ones. thanks for the input.
    • 20 posts
    July 28, 2009 11:12 AM PDT
    Sending you an email Ron. Best of Luck!
    • 2 posts
    July 28, 2009 12:43 PM PDT
    Hey Ron....we do an awesome job with sponsorships:

"Game Time Temperature".....(hospital,doctor, EMS group, heating and cooling, etc.)
    "Coin Toss brought to you by...(credit union, bank, etc.)
    "The Collision of the Game" (body shop, etc.)
    "Linemen of the game" (cell phone, electric company, etc.)
    "Scoreboard sponsorship"
    Half time sponsorship and wrap up

Hope those help....

Maria Smith
    WLKR/WKFM
    Sandusky/Norwalk, OHIO
    • 3 posts
    July 28, 2009 12:46 PM PDT
    Good Afternoon Ron,

In Montreal one of the stations I represent sells 2 major sports franchises. CJAD 800 AM is the voice of The Montreal Canadiens of the NHL and The Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League (CFL). The possibilities are endless, let your imagination go wild...please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Cheers,
    • 1 posts
    July 28, 2009 12:47 PM PDT
    Hi Ron,

My company has created software that will allow you to run a localizes high school pick'em contest. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you'd like some more details.

Thanks!

Josh
  • July 28, 2009 12:52 PM PDT
    High Ron, You can use game time temperature and weather. Also the coin toss, offensive player & defensive player of the game. Every time the quarterback gets sacked! Time-outs. Pre-game show, post game show.
    Out of town scoreboard, half time show etc. I hope this helps Ron.
    Mike
  • July 28, 2009 12:54 PM PDT
    We sell everything .. player of the game .. coin toss .. side line reports .. ihave even tired to sell "time outs"! If it happens in a game we sell it to a local advertiser .. only be limited by your imaginatiton .. we also air a Saturday morning trivia contest base on the previous nights game .. winner gets prizes from local area sponsors (restaurants .. etc.) We also hightlight the "play of the game" on Saturday morning and it has a seperate sponsor.
    • 6 posts
    July 28, 2009 3:45 PM PDT
    Funny you should ask - we just debuted our promotion today - there are a few misspells but you'll get the idea. I'd really like to see what your Player of the Game and kick-off are like if you are willing to share.
    • 3 posts
    July 29, 2009 5:14 AM PDT
    Everybody...thanks for your imput.
    • 1 posts
    July 29, 2009 6:42 AM PDT
    Ron here are a few for you that our station does.
    *Pre-game coaches show. Interview before the game.
    *Starting Line-ups announcing starters before the game.
    *Opening kickoff/tipoff.
    *Time and Temp. at kickoff.
    *Most Valuable Player.
    *Big Play of the Game.
    *Second half kickoff/tipoff.
    *Halftime report./Scoring Summary.
    *Post Game Coaches Show.
    *In Baseball we also do first pitch., first home team touchdown in football.
    *We also do a ball game ID with a 10 second ad and a 05 second ID saying you are listening to this broadcast on whatever your call letters are. Here are several for you. The ID package is much cheaper than the regular rate for thirty's.
    • 11 posts
    July 29, 2009 6:47 AM PDT
    We also offer pregame, opening line up, half time, and post game sponsorships for our High School and college sports packages.
    • 1 posts
    July 30, 2009 7:03 AM PDT
    Ron:

The only "sponsorship" that I didn't see in the responses was the "Eyes of the Game" (referees) that we have a local optometrist sponsor.

John Hoscheidt
    WRMJ
    Aledo, IL
    • 993 posts
    July 30, 2009 2:49 PM PDT
    John,

I love this one! Thanks for sharing it.

-Rod
    • 26 posts
    August 7, 2009 12:46 PM PDT
    We actually used some of these to be added-value to get a business to purchase schedules during the 10-week period.

For example, we air a Coach's show before the game. A local hospital signed on to sponsor that show for a commercial schedule during the 10-week period. We also sell sponsorships of the halftime report and pre-game.
    • 19 posts
    September 17, 2009 9:06 PM PDT
    I love the quality of your packages. They look very professional! You just gave me some great ideas.

Thank you!
  • July 2, 2010 5:29 AM PDT
    Ron:

Most high school football in our region is played on Friday nights. Which game shall we cover? How about all of them. We created a show called "Pigskin Press Pass" with an anchor in studio and correspondents in the field. Last year our PD recruited students from various schools to call in "live" reports. I was fearful but for the most part, it worked out well. (ESPN, your next generation is on the way.)
    One correspondent got mike fright at the moment of truth so we recruited the Lowell Police Chief whose son was on the team. One night we tossed it to him just as a touchdown run was under way. ("He's a the 30, the 20, the ten...Touchdown".) The cops had a great time kidding the chief after that night. His son graduated last May so I guess the chief will go back to arresting bad guys.
    • 7 posts
    July 2, 2010 1:08 PM PDT
    Here are the special sponsorships we have on high school football games:
    Starting Lineups
    Officials (sponsored by an eye doctor!)
    Opening kickoff
    Second half kickoff
    Offensive and Defensive Players of the Game

I plan on pitching the Coin Toss to a coin dealer this year.
    • 14 posts
    July 12, 2010 11:13 PM PDT
    When we sold local high school sports, we went to companies that would appeal to the parents, who are most likely the listeners, especially away games. We had local oil companies, HVAC, orthodontists, kids dentists, auto insurance companies, local distributors for Coke and Pepsi, used car dealers, local colleges, sports clothing and supply stores.

We always sold out every season. We made the package affordable and we renewed year after year.

Good luck!
    • 26 posts
    July 14, 2010 12:34 PM PDT
    Scoreboard sponsor- if you announce scores from area schools
    Collision/Play of the Game
    Gametime temp
    Halftime Show sponsorship
    Post game sponsorship
    Defining moment of the game- some moment that turned the team/outcome around
    • 1373 posts
    August 11, 2017 5:47 PM PDT

Jerry Baker with WEIS in Centre, AL, told me about his high school football package and gave me permission to share here: he sells the package to one dozen sponsors. They get five ads in the games on Friday nights, three ads per day, plus hourly promotional ads Monday through Friday. This comes to twenty ads per week for a ten-week period, 200 ads per season. He prices the package at $2400 per season, and sells it for a total of $28,000.

• 19 posts
    August 24, 2018 6:18 AM PDT

For several years we've been selling the "Ultimate Sports Sponsorship" for our high school team on WICY.  It's simple, three 15s/game + promos and three 30's per day Mon-Sun.  It allows reps to sell it as a sports sponsorship or as a solid advertising plan with the bonus of sports.  We sell it for $525/month X 12 months a year.  In the summer, we give them options of a promo/sportscast as value added.  It's a big part of the station's revenue.  We do sell individual season sponsors (Football, Boys/Girls Soccer, Hockey, Boys/Girls Basketball, Softball, and Baseball.

This post was edited by Michael T. at August 24, 2018 6:36 AM PDT