Hot Tub Dealers

• October 24, 2011 12:13 PM PDT

We have a hot tub dealer who says he has "tried all kinds of advertising including radio and nothing seemed to work."

He also sells pools and sun rooms but wants to sell hot tubs now.

Any ad or promotion ideas?

Joel

• 455 posts
    October 28, 2011 8:42 AM PDT

Reach, frequency, and motivating message.

I believe almost any media source has sufficient reach which only leaves the other two. If he's "tried all kinds of advertising", chances are his frequency and message are poor and his expectations too high. Otherwise, it make no sense that others are advertising and succeeding.

I called on a John Deere dealer. The owner said he had tried it all and nothing worked. I said it was his message. He didn't think we had any listeners. I said, "Let's put it to the test. We'll advertise for the rest of today that you'll give a new John Deere riding mower to everyone at your store tomorrow morning before 8am." He, of course, said he couldn't do that and I told him he just proved my point - it's all about the message. He became a client.    

• 84 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:33 AM PDT

I hear REALLY BAD ads for this category all the time.

Just because you're SHOUTING doesn't mean I want a hot tub.

If they sell the experience I'm going to have IN the hot tub they will have a better campaign. 

I would also promote some kind of ongoing "chemical club" (with a better name) because the chemicals are VERY profitable for them... and they need to KEEP buying over and over.

• 180 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:52 AM PDT
    I once got a hot tub dealer on the air with a remote. The idea was that you could win a hot tub full of 7-UP. No, we did not fill the tub with sugary soda pop. We filled it with 2 liter  bottles of pop. The winner got the tub and the soda.
    • 180 posts
    October 28, 2011 9:53 AM PDT
    Careful.I tried the same thing with a tire dealer. He accused me of being a smartass and tossed me out.