Friday Poll: The Veterans Among Us

• 1373 posts
    November 10, 2011 9:40 PM PST

Friday greetings, everyone!

Since November 11th is both Veterans Day in the United States and Remembrance Day in Canada, we wanted to dedicate this week's poll to recognizing those who have served.

If you are a veteran, we'd like to hear from you -- and we thank you for your service!

And to all our other members, we invite you to tell us about the veterans you know and the impact they've had on your lives.

Looking forward to reading your replies!

• 5 posts
    November 11, 2011 5:53 AM PST

Iam a veteran of the US Army....thanks for thinking of veterans today!  Very Awesome!

• 1 posts
    November 11, 2011 6:12 AM PST

I am Greg Uselman and I would like to thank you for remembering Veterans today. I was in the US Navy from 1971 to 1975 and served in the Vietman conflict mostly on Mine Sweepers. They were right, it was an adventure.

• 29 posts
    November 11, 2011 7:30 AM PST

I served in the Infantry in the U.S. Army from 1982 through 1991, dividing up my time between reserve service (in college) and active duty service after graduation.  The military played a big part into making me into the man I am today.  It led me to understand how important "service" is and I wish everyone would have the opportunity to serve (whether in the military or in another setting).  I learned there are things more important than "me", and that I'm really not "entitled" to anything but instead have to "earn" my way into things.  I also found I have "responsibilities" if I want to make the world a better place for those I love and care about and I probably should not expect anyone else to to that for me.  I learned to believe in ideals, and still strive to live up to them.  Finally, and maybe most importantly, I learned that while some things in life are hard to do, nothing is impossible.

It's funny how this came to be.  If I look back on my daily life in the Army, I primarily remember me and my fellow soldiers being tired, stressed, worn out and dirty more often than not.  We cussed, most of us used tobacco products to excess, and no one would mistake any of us for angels but the fact of the matter is the institution of the military did etch character into us that made many of us into better men and women. 

Just my thoughts for this Veteran's Day and let me say to my fellow servicemen and women, and to the families who supported them, "Thank you!"

• 1373 posts
    November 11, 2011 8:12 AM PST

Kelley, thank you for your service . . . you guys are the awesome ones!

• 1373 posts
    November 11, 2011 8:14 AM PST

Greg, thank you so much for your service!  One of my friends is also a Vietnam vet, and based on what he and others have told me, I know you did not get the thanks and welcome home that should have been yours . . . so even though it comes late, please accept a heartfelt "thank you" today.

• 1373 posts
    November 11, 2011 8:17 AM PST

Joel, thank you for posting that neat letter, and thanks to you and your family for your service.  Makes me proud and grateful to be an American!

• 1373 posts
    November 11, 2011 8:21 AM PST

John, thank you so much for your service, and for sharing the lessons you learned from it.  I found myself mentally "nodding my head" as I read your post.  I've never served in the military, but from 2003-2008 my sister and I had the opportunity to "adopt" many troops serving in the sandbox, sending them letters and care packages, and as I corresponded with these men and women, I got to know some of them pretty well. They lived the values you describe, and I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to know and learn from them.

• 29 posts
    November 11, 2011 8:27 AM PST

Rebecca -

I guarantee you those soldiers appreciated those care packages and letters, not so much for what might have been in them, but for the fact they were getting support and appreciation from home!

John

• 1373 posts
    November 11, 2011 8:35 AM PST

Thank you, John!  It was a really neat opportunity.  I had a hard time convincing some of the soldiers that the care packages were meant as thank you's to them, and that they didn't need to send me anything in return.  One fellow in particular would always send me souvenirs or other little gifts every time I sent him some snacks, LOL.  But the two flags I have that were flown in Iraq, a couple of unit coins, and a box of handwritten letters from "my guys" are some of my most cherished possessions because of the memories they hold.

• 4 posts
    November 11, 2011 11:13 AM PST

I served in US Navy. (However the word "served" might be a stretch.) 

Thanks for recognizing vets. Very nice touch. 

• 1373 posts
    November 11, 2011 11:26 AM PST

Taz, thank you for your service!  As I just read on a friend's Facebook page, "'A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'."  We are so fortunate to have so many men and women of this caliber in our country!

• 180 posts
    November 11, 2011 5:39 PM PST

I was spit on and called "baby-killer" back in the '60s. And I never got into Nam. I spent most of my time freezing on the flightline at Elmendorf in Anchorage. Still, I am happy to see how the troops are treated today. No matter what your politics, the troops get the honor they deserve. I am happy to support the USO at Ontario Airport here in California. It's the biggest in the country. And our station, KSPA, worked with the VFW and SportClips haircuts this year, using the GBS Vets Day features, to raise money for their Help for heroes drive for funds to cover calls home. 

Way to go young troops. Keep us free!

• 1373 posts
    November 11, 2011 5:50 PM PST

Joe, I wish you'd received the respect and gratitude back in the '60's that were due to you and your fellow servicemen.  But please accept my family's & my heartfelt thanks today.

Thank you, too, for using the GBS Veterans Day features - it's neat to hear how they tied into your fundraiser for the troops - what a cool project!

• 12 posts
    November 10, 2017 6:15 AM PST

Spent 38 years in the active and reserve components of the United States Army.  I'm grateful for all the soldiers in the past, those in the present and those who'll serve in the future.  Not everyone has the willingness, desire and ability to serve this country honorably. I'm grateful that I was able to.

• 1373 posts
    November 10, 2017 8:10 AM PST

Mr. Kaminski, thank you so much for your service, and for taking time to write. I agree, I am thankful for all who serve. Americans owe a profound debt of gratitude to all our men and women who have been and are willing to pay the price of freedom with their own blood, sweat, and tears.

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at November 10, 2017 8:19 AM PST
    • 1373 posts
    November 10, 2017 8:22 AM PST

From RSC member SAM THOMAS: "I AM A VETERAN OF THE US ARMY IN MILITARY INTELLIGENCE. SERVED FROM SEPTEMBER 1953 TO SEPTEMBER 1955. KOREAN VETERAN. I HAVE 7 BROTHERS THAT SERVED IN ARMY, NAVY, & AIRFORCE. SEVERAL BROTHER IN LAWS AND UNCLES ALSO. ONE UNCLE LOST HIS LIFE WHILE SERVING IN FRANCE IN A VEHICLE ACCIDENT. OLD GLORY STILL FLYS AROUND HERE. I AM FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR ALL WHO HAVE SERVED TO KEEP OUR FREEDOM AND ALL THAT AMERICA STANDS FOR. GOD BLESS AMERICA."

Thank you so much, Mr. Thomas!

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at November 10, 2017 8:23 AM PST