Tulsa H.S. Students Take Over KVOO for a Day - May 9, 1951

• 994 posts
    January 23, 2012 5:07 PM PST

This nostalgic audio-visual presentation, "The Magic Day," runs just shy of an hour and features the voices of the high school students who took over all news and commercial writing and reading duties on the most powerful radio station in town: Tulsa, Oklahoma's 50,000 watt clear-channel KVOO. 

I found it fascinating listening on many levels, but what impressed me most, perhaps, is the maturity and poise of these high school students.  I don't know how typical they were of the student body as a whole, but they sure rose to the occasion here.

It was a different time in our country, that's for sure.

P.S.   Does your station do anything like this for students or local service organizations?

• 53 posts
    January 30, 2012 10:25 AM PST

HI Rod,

No we do not, but I can think of few ways more effective toward growing grassroots listeners. Scoot the pro's aside momentarily, and feature local high school, middle, and elementary school kids doing age-appropriate announcing. If Radio is to over-reach its competitors it is this sort of hyperlocal content that will clinch the deal. Aside from that, it makes for a refreshing on-air experience for P1's, and 2's.  I can scarcely imagine such an idea being embraced though.Today's operators, (it seems)  allow listeners to tell them what to do. Are Radio programmers working more out of fear than confidence, taking orders from listeners rather than relying on their own-well-honed sense to construct the broadcast day? Not the song request approach of yesteryear. But more the "tell us what we need to to program for your tastes".  Translated: "We know nothing, you know everything." Perhaps when we remember we actually know something about Radio and can think for ourselves again, we will permit unique and refreshing ideas like this. Till then, our servitude to todays programming misdirection will likely disqualify such an idea as too risky. "It's not what the listening audience has told us they want." Sorry, went on a bit of a rant there. I believe strongly the Web 2.0 world of user-generated content has been adopted uncritically by professional broadcasters. We have sold-out to listener whims. So, yes, let the amatuers announce, (their voices are a welcome change) under the watchful eye of capable and confident programmers. Sounded great. Viva la Sophia