RSC member would like to get your input on the structure of this

• 1373 posts
    July 12, 2012 4:15 PM PDT

Hi all!  I recently heard from an RSC member who wrote:

Our Sales structure is (as brief as I can):

• A Sales Person who has an account list and sells basically spots/schedules.
    • A Sales Person who has a smaller account list to sell spots/schedules, and sells our Shopping Show to almost all of our accounts regardless of list.
    • A Part-Time Sales Person who has and even smaller account list to sell spots/schedules, but sells Special Programs (FFA Week, Graduation, Election Night, etc.) to all of our accounts.

So, as you can see, it is more than possible, it happens where an account is "called" on by three different people here.  Some only two, but either way, that makes no sense to me.  Is this normal in the industry?  Is there any reason for it?

In my previous experiences, in other industries, a Sales Person/Account Executive had their own accounts and was responsible for every aspect of that account.

Any insight you could share would be great!

All the Best!!!

Please share your thoughts and suggestions below.  Thank you!

• 1 posts
    July 13, 2012 5:07 AM PDT

I do the same thing with my sales staff, especially for Hospitals and Universities/Colleges.  Usually, a college/university and hospitals place several different ways with their media:

1.  Agency placements

2.  Local direct from their PR/Marketing person

3.  HR/Recruitment money

4.  Charitable event sponsorship

5.  Hospitals and Colleges have several independent departments that advertise as well  (college of..., school of....)

• 455 posts
    July 13, 2012 6:23 AM PDT

We do #1 and #3 here. It's a slippery slope. Some of the clients don't like it and it sometimes blows up a much bigger deal because of price. This can work only to prospect new clients initially and move them up the chain.

• 5 posts
    July 13, 2012 9:30 AM PDT

We do 1 and 3 here also. We have threatened to cut out the tongue of the #3 salesperson who sells to a business that is on an established account list.

The reason is because it is extremely confusing to the client, and will also blow a larger sale because they buy a small package and feel like they are truly advertising. Why should they buy anything larger when they can buy a smaller package and get "on the radio".

We try and use #3 to call on people that may have never advertised and need to ease into a relationship with us.

• 455 posts
    July 13, 2012 2:47 PM PDT

Agree. But, I'm afraid we want the immediate dollar so much we give the "radio doesn't work" crowd another bullet in the gun.

• 33 posts
    July 13, 2012 10:44 PM PDT

I think it is a waste of manpower or women power...

One rep one relationship...

Mike