Friday Poll: How Do You Handle a Stall?

• 1373 posts
    November 21, 2013 11:53 PM PST

Happy Friday, everyone!

This week’s poll question comes from Alex Mann of Oshkosh, WI; it is particularly directed toward sales managers:

Alex writes, "When you have a sales rep who comes back from a call and says, 'I had a great day today, really hit it off with a prospect! They are very interested but want to wait a month or so before they make a commitment!' do you say 'Well done!' or do you explain to the rep that, 'You blew it! 99% of the time, "We need to wait," is French for "You haven't sold me."'?

"I've found telling the prospect something like, 'If increasing your revenue is something you need to do sooner rather than later, then let’s take time out of the equation and get moving' is effective but regardless, doing what you can to walk out with a sale because a month usually turns into two months, then three months, then a no because they were afforded the opportunity to 'cool off.'"

How do you handle – and how do you advise your sales reps to handle – the client objections, “We need to wait” or “Let me think about it”?

Looking forward to reading your replies . . . and thanks for suggesting the topic, Alex!

• 1 posts
    November 22, 2013 6:16 AM PST

I think it totally depends on the client.  I have had calls go both was...some really respected the fact that I gave them the time and space to crunch numbers and talk to business partners.  Others as soon as you walk out the door you know you lost them.  So my answer, although, non-committal is what I have experienced.  That is where quick thinking comes in, you need to be able to read the client and if they are "cool" in the pitch, you must step it up and give them something that they CANNOT disagree with and get them moving in the direction that excites them.  Then, although they may not sign that day, the wheels are turning in their head because you got them excited.  I always try to close then and there and often use, "if business has been slow or you want to increase profits and you are doing nothing different today, tomorrow will reflect today--no sales".  Also, I impress upon them a sense of urgency, basic supply and demand.  I employ the analogy of "trying to purchase a plane ticket"--if you are trying to buy for Sunday, November 24th, today you will pay much more than if you are looking for a ticket mid-March.  So although you may be hesitant about it, let's lock in this rate, give us time to get some spots done so you can hear what we can do for your business and once they hear the creative or see an Internet spec spot they are engaged and it is hard to lose their interest after that.  

• 89 posts
    November 22, 2013 7:40 AM PST

Derek,

Love that! I always put "pricing valid until _____" in my proposals. I'm going to start using the airplane analogy consistently, it's easy to understand!

• 30 posts
    November 22, 2013 8:21 AM PST

My conversation with my sellers is;  What did we talk with the prospect about?  Was the approach or idea compelling enough to get emotional "buy in" from the prospect. (serve a purpose)  Was this an actual proposal or an "off the cuff" pitch.

Depending on the answers to the preceding three questions, I can determine if we did our job as marketing professionals or if this was "wing and a prayer" so that the seller can come back and tell the boss, "I pitched something."  We will then go back through the sales process and evaluate.

• 9 posts
    November 22, 2013 9:01 AM PST

Be careful of over-thinking We need to wait... I've walked away only to have them call me later.  I only want people who want to be on radio...

• 170 posts
    November 22, 2013 9:10 AM PST

I agree with Alex that 'wait' means 'you haven't sold me'.  But it's not about price or putting a deadline on a proposal. It comes down to the fact that the client is not sold on the idea.  We in radio sell an intangible - this makes us an idea industry.  If they see value in the idea, they either pay or negotiate the price, they do not 'wait'.   The salesperson needs to re-address the idea with the client.  Even a great price or deal on airtime will not necessarily get a 'yes' if the client doesn't really have anything to use the airtime for or does not perceive how adding that station or this airtime will effectively grow their bottom line.  

Presentations should be made in a deductive format: 

1.  You and the client discussed such-and-such and agreed that you would come back with this proposal  - the client must agree before you proceed.  

2.  This proposal addresses the issue previously discussed in this way:  you have agreed to the problem, you now present the solution sans cost  -  the client must agree this is logical before you proceed.  If not go back to #1 and start over.

3.  Present the cost options with the pros and cons of each, i.e. sponsorship v airtime, promotion v package, etc.

There is a logic to this type of presentation.  People seek consistency. So if they agree with #1, with #2, then #3 becomes what kind of airtime/cost would naturally flow from that.

• November 22, 2013 9:15 AM PST

It has been stated here:  a "stall" means "you have not yet given me enough confidence or reason to buy".  It could just be that this person is NICELY blowing you off.....don't have the courage to say no.  Or simply that they are somewhat interested.  The answer to this is to CALL they guy back and ask a pointed question... "what [part did I get wrong"

• 89 posts
    November 22, 2013 9:18 AM PST

Diane,

This is great! Do you ask clients "what their pain tolerance is' (budget) at the CNA and make it clear that it's going to take _________ to get the job done, if that level of muscle isn't behind the campaign... we're just not going to make an impact?

• 89 posts
    November 22, 2013 9:29 AM PST

Chris,

In one of your training videos (which we use on a regular basis!) I believe you recommend responding with, "You need to think about it... what's holding you back?" And see what they say. Both have worked very well for me because they often reveal the real objection. Very difficult to get to the sale until you know the real objection!

• 83 posts
    November 22, 2013 11:57 AM PST

This objection may not be to your proposal or even your idea.  If you haven't sold the client in the past, then in my opinion, a "think-about it" objection can be because the client doesn't feel the a relationship has been built with you.  Most clients aren't really as much concerned about what station they are on, but about the relationship they have with their seller.  Building relationships takes time, and the more we do to build those relationships as we are getting to know a client, the easier it will be to get yes's consistantly.

• 170 posts
    November 22, 2013 12:53 PM PST

If the client asks 'how much would it cost to do _______________' than I give them a range, e.g., to accomplish that you're probably looking at $500-$600 but now that I know what your objective is, let me put together a proposal with options and we can come up with something that will work'.  Set a time to come back within 72 hours.

Keep in mind that you sell different kinds of airtime to accomplish different things for your clients. Example: Annuals, sponsorships create repetition at key times of day over time -  good for name/location recognition for a business that's new, has a tough location, is introducing something new, wants to create a niche (brand) for their business.  I usually explain in brief to clients the different things we offer and then come back with alternatives, a script and/or spec spot.  The key is clearly establishing what they want to accomplish with radio and then specifically addressing that in your proposal.

I do not suggest ever being confrontational or calling the client out for their indecision. It's their business, their money. It's a privilege if they choose to work with and spend money with you.  If they don't respond as you wished, pick another idea, another time and go back in anew looking for the right idea or approach. As Gary notes above, you sometimes will have a client call you later for another sale, another promotion or on what you actually proposed to begin with. This happens when you show the client you respect them and are sincerely trying to help them improve their business.

• 58 posts
    November 22, 2013 1:07 PM PST

I got my first major market sales job right out of college by answering that question when the interviewer said that to me at the end of the interview .My ANSWER was: What is it that you need to think about. He said,'nothing, your hired'. The other guy that interviewed that day kept coming back and coming back but didn't get hired. The take home is obvious, I've employed this tactic  when interviewing myself. If your not willing to ask why you probably should look for a different line of work.

• 121 posts
    November 24, 2013 1:35 PM PST