Friday Poll: How Do You Handle an Immediate Brush-off?

• 1373 posts
    February 20, 2014 11:59 PM PST

Happy Friday, everyone!

In a recent article, sales trainer Art Sobczak wrote that someone once asked him "what to do when cold calling a prospect and they immediately brush you off." The individual wasn't referring to "the prospect who is simply uncooperative. That one stays on the phone, maybe is wishy-washy, but still breathing on the other end of the line– at least we still have a shot with those people. No, he was referring to those prospects who reply with, 'Not interested,' or 'We’re all set,' and then hang up even before you can get your entire opening statement out of your mouth." 

In the rest of the article (click here to read), Sobczak shares his advice for dealing with this situation, but he closes by asking the question that I'd like to ask all of you this week:

What do YOU do when you get the quick brush-off?

Looking forward to reading your replies!

• February 21, 2014 6:09 AM PST

It's simple.  Send him an article about his business category via US Mail with a note attached that says you wanted to share information about his industry with him.  Of course, you HAVE to find the article first, but there is plenty of information at the RAB or even in your local paper/business journal.  You can always share a success story of one of his competitors (or just a plain old success story) who uses your station.  It doesn't always work, but then, what sales calls do?  But it may get a closed mind a little inquisitive and also feeling a little guilty that he did not give you the time of day.  In your note, tell him you'll call in a few days.  Then follow up.  The worst that can happen is he hangs up again.  Then you move on.  But you may have nudged him enough with your "love" that he at least takes the time to speak with you.  Good luck!

• 89 posts
    February 21, 2014 6:18 AM PST
    I try to make sure that in the initial call that I clearly demonstrate I have done some research on their business and that I know what I'm talking about, I do what I can to back up what I'm saying with credible facts/data. If after that they're still abrasive... I move on to their competitor!
    • 89 posts
    February 21, 2014 7:03 AM PST

Joel that is an AMAZING story!

• 30 posts
    February 21, 2014 8:18 AM PST

My first response is that we are not here to sell you anything, this is an introduction and I would like to leave a card. Furthermore, I will generally add that we may not even be the right fit.  (Thanks Chris Lytle).  Remember that everyone is time impoverished and unscheduled visit by us is an interruption.  It is also important to remember that their response is usually not intended to be personal.  Developing the relationship will determine a clients true colors.

Good Selling!

• 170 posts
    February 21, 2014 9:50 AM PST

i agree, George.  Sometimes the blowoff is just to see if they can blow you off. A courteous I-can-see-you're-busy and I would appreciate a few minutes soon to talk with you about what you do to market your business -  this will tell us both if my radio station can help you build more business or not.  The self-effacing comment usually catches a potential client like this offguard -  they are used to vendors coming in and telling them what they need to do and what they need to buy (from the vendor). This alternative apporach sets a great tone.  If you can't get a future appt at that time, stop back in a couple of weeks with an article relevant to that business or a brand they carry, an idea in a similar business that you came across while on vacation in another state or found on the internet -  an excuse to stop back in and demonstrate you do have an interest in their bottom line.

• 42 posts
    February 24, 2014 9:52 PM PST

It has happened to me many times. I assemble  a cd with the best ads we have produced, and a brief proposal and send it over to the clients office . After sometime I follow up and if there is no good response, I move on and present the idea to another client. what shocks me is that almost all my clients are ladies .but the few men who listen and implement our ideas, they become our  friends .