Friday Poll: Have You Ever Used a Gimmick to Get a Prospect's At

• 1373 posts
    May 29, 2014 10:52 PM PDT

Happy Friday, everyone!

Recently I read an article that discussed the use of gimmicks to get the attention of a prospect (click here to read).  My personal favorite was the salesperson who sent a difficult-to-reach client a lottery ticket with the accompanying note, "You'll have a much greater chance for making money if you take a moment to talk with me."

So this got me to wondering:

What's the cleverest approach you've made to get the attention of a prospect?  Did it work?

Looking forward to reading your answers!

• 39 posts
    May 30, 2014 6:42 AM PDT

I don't think I've ever used a gimmick. I mostly rely on offering high value and an obvious business advantage. I do give gifts, though. Does that count?

• 73 posts
    May 30, 2014 7:49 AM PDT

I have two stories to relate.  A colleague was having difficulty getting in to see a client so he contacted a man who specialized in fancy balloons.  He had our media kit, along with other items put inside the balloon and it was then delivered to the firm in question.  Needless to say he got in the door and got the order. I had a rather stubborn business that would not buy.  The owner was firm in his belief that no one listened to radio.  Finally, I asked him if we could broadcast that his business was giving away $50 bills to all who asked.  Incredulous he said "No way. I'll be swamped"!  I said how could that be since no one listens to radio?  The point was made.  We got the order.

• 41 posts
    May 30, 2014 8:04 AM PDT

Back in the mid-70's I was having no luck selling anything to the agency that handled

Safeway stores in Tulsa.  Being that OU Football is a really big deal, I went to his office

with a football, and schedule attached to it. From the doorway to his office I tossed it

to him and said "I;ve got OU Football and it's in your hands now." Got an order for

ads in the Pre-Game and Post Game.  P.S. I let him keep the ball.

• 993 posts
    May 30, 2014 4:16 PM PDT

Gifts suggest "genuine" - not gimmick.  What kinds of gifts, Joseph, and under what circumstances?

• 3 posts
    May 31, 2014 3:06 AM PDT

Years ago I was having problems getting a national pizza delivery chain to even consider my station (we were an AM in a world of FM's).  I took one of their pizza boxes and covered it with station bumper stickers.  Then I went to the grocery store and bought the cheapest frozen pizza I could find.  I microwaved it for about 30 seconds, then smashed up the half-cooked pizza.  On the lid above this pizza (visible as soon as you open the lid) I put a note, "We deliver horrible pizzas, but great advertising results.  Can we meet for 30 minutes to discuss your upcoming advertising needs?  Phone number."  I had it delivered to the head of advertising.

That afternoon I got a call and the appointment.  It took several needs analyses, but after several appointments & showing how our solutions met their needs we began to get on the buys...and delivered results.

• June 2, 2014 6:44 AM PDT

I remember when we used those pink phone message notes you put on a sharp pointed holder. You know the ones you picked up at the switchboard!  I took it to a print shop and had it blown up to  a size  two feet by two feet.

Filled it in saying I called and would like to meet with you this Wednesday....I got the call back within the hour saying

very creative, lets meet. Sold a full year contract!!  I guess I'm dating myself LOL!!

Tom E Dean