Forums » The Round Table: Brainstorming & Problem-solving

Need Advice for truck driver employment advertising.

• 5 posts
    September 10, 2014 12:37 PM PDT

New to the board but been in radio for a while. How ya'll doing? 

I have a question for ya'll. I finally sold a neighbor a truck driver employment campaign. i am running a vertical saturation campaign first week on a country station top 5 men 25-49. 10x mon and 10x on tues plus a buttload of overnights. Then the same thing on a classic rock station the following week. Then the schedule repeats country station third week and classic rock 4th.  I even talked him into offering a $1500 signing bonus. He has only got three calls after the two weeks of advertising. He is not happy and I am being the agency for this campaign so I am paying for ads upfront. I am not saying he is not going to pay me if no results but it could happen and then I would be out $3k of my own money.

As far the copy it's a fantastic female voice explaining what the company does, the signing bonus, benefits and phone number to call with a really clever tag line.

3 calls in two weeks is something I have never experience before from my other employment advertising but I have never gone after truckers before(they are very high in demand with the oil business booming in south texas)  

Do ya'll have any ideas to save this or should I cancel the remaining weeks since it doesn't seem to be working for client? 

• 167 posts
    September 12, 2014 6:48 AM PDT

The variables are these:  when it airs (days of the week, weeks of the month), how it airs (frequency) and what is said  (creative).  For recruitment ads the approach to all of the above needs to be based on the idea that you are not recruiting non-working people - your primary target is working people who are unhappy in some way with their current work situation. So you need to address the needs of those people - they don't make enough, they aren't appreciated, they're nmicromanaged, they hate their hours.....  Studies I have seen indicate the primary reason for leaving a job is not money - it's management, not feeling like a part of the team, etc. The points of highest dissatisfaction for people who feel this way is Sun-Mon-Tue so the days and frequency you are airing is good.  That leaves the production.

You should ask your client but I would assume the biggest reason someone would become a truck driver is freedom from direct management - this is also a drawback for people with family commitments.  The biggest reason to change companies is management, inflexibiity of routes. So the copy should address taking responsibility for critical deliveries (feeling of importance for what they do), being part of a winning team  and getting paid well for it!  Voice should be male - not female. You are convincing people to apply - not announcing openings for truck drivers.  Again - keep in mind that money is not the primary incentive for people to act.  Address what is important to them.

Good luck! 

• 5 posts
    September 12, 2014 7:12 AM PDT

Very good advice thanks. Just curious why do you say a male voice? It's funny because i poll'd 20 men and they would rather hear a female voice but most girls say it should be a man's voice.

I really like your thoughts on this and I will try to incorporate them...it is just hard with on a:30 that clear channel gives you.

• 167 posts
    September 12, 2014 7:58 AM PDT

An ad like this is intrinsically a testimonial -  while the male voice does not say 'hey, I'm a truck driver' the voice relaying the information about the job implies an inside knowledge of the trucking industry.  The trucking industry is predominantly male or at least widely perceived to be so, the prospects to reply to the ad are likewise predominantly male. This is a guy-to-guy thing. 

Changing the ad and the voice may prove critical to salvaging the account.. You should explain the variables involved to the client as the reason for the change in production so that you continue to problem-solve for him. After all, other businesses run recruitment on your stations successfully -  you can make this work for him as well! You certainly do not want to leave him with the impression that your station is the problem.

• 112 posts
    September 12, 2014 8:03 AM PDT

If the demand for drivers is as high as here in North Dakota, you may have to look at the pay issue though too. I would usually agree with Diane for most jobs, but in our oil boom, every driver with a CDL is in demand. My husband is not an active driver, but has his CDL. He has been offered up to $5000 for one weekend haul. And if you're going to drive for oil, you already know you will have to leave family commitments behind. It is the money that is drawing them. Try to find out what other companies are paying. And you may have to ask around to see if his company has a reputation with the drivers.

• 8 posts
    September 12, 2014 12:55 PM PDT

Are you running the same recording over and over and over, if so maybe listeners are tired of hearing the spot? Do the stations run  too many spots in a stop set and your spot is getting lost? How many people are actually listening to the stations? The number of responses you've gotten may be very good if they have very few listeners. The business I'm involved with here in Greensboro, NC   spent over $2,500 in advertising over a very short period on a major, higly rated, 100KW FM and never had anyone even mention they heard our adversting. Just because a station plays your spot doesn't mean you're going to get any results. 

• 167 posts
    September 12, 2014 1:10 PM PDT
    I would still argue, Bob, it's what you say, when you say it, who you say it to and how often it's said. An ad for truck drivers on a country station should get results regardless of audience size. The point that Lynn brings up, of course, adds a different dynamic.
    • 5 posts
    September 12, 2014 1:36 PM PDT

Thanks to all of you. I rewrote spot with more emphasis on the truckdrivers happiness making the same runs every day and could get diversity with new company and better mgmt. Still 1500 sign on bonus.  Used my voice (deep voice southern draw) to stand out on station and get truckers attn. . I am running it on a classic hits  station that has more men numbers than the country station does matter of fact #1 25-49 men 2100 aqh and 16,700 cume. country station had 1500 aqh and 18.000 cume.