Friday Poll: Have You Ever Had a Conversation with a Stranger Tu

• 1373 posts
    April 23, 2015 11:24 PM PDT

Happy Friday, everyone!

This week's poll question was inspired by a recent article by SalesDog.com's Michael Dalton Johnson, Do Talk to Strangers, in which he points out that going out of your way to engage others in conversation can be fun, educational, and occasionally, yield a business opportunity as well.

Have you ever struck up a conversation with someone you didn’t know and had it turn into a sales opportunity?

Looking forward to reading your replies!

• 84 posts
    April 24, 2015 4:00 AM PDT
    A few years back we put some items on Craig's list... I wanted to clean out my garage. One of the people who bought some items was a nice guy that owns a few Car Wash businesses in the area. He and I began talking about that... He has been a client ever since.

I think I should clean out my garage again!
    • 1373 posts
    April 24, 2015 10:44 AM PDT

Awesome!  Thanks for sharing your story!

• 121 posts
    April 26, 2015 8:24 AM PDT

Well, yes.  The ability to speak with strangers is integral if you are going to be successful in media sales. Despite all of the lead generating techniques and shortcuts that are "sold" to salespeople, you really need to be able to also set aside your fear of talking with strangers and meet people you have no other connection with.  I like the examples Michael used in the excerpt.

I am fall on the introvert side of the extrovert/introvert scale but you can use that to your advantage to create stronger relationships.  You just have to step out of your comfort zone and decide to care about the person you are talking to!

While I have plenty of connections from spending the past decade in the market and previously growing up in Fort Wayne, Indiana, my business would not exist if I did not make a conscious effort to do in-person cold calling every month.   25% of my 2014 clients were relationships that I initiated and that translated into 50% of my billing.  10 years ago that figure was closer to 95%.

By getting in the habit of talking to strangers, you develop the habit of starting relationships instead of always trying to sell someone.  It builds trust which is one important key to a successful career in this business.