Campaign for Property Management Company

• 15 posts
    July 28, 2015 6:42 AM PDT

I've recently signed on a property management company, but I'm having some issues coming up with a compelling script.

My client handles everything from home inspections to seasonal property maintenance (spring/fall cleanup, lawn moving, snowplowing, etc), project/property management and will even tackle some carpentry. In essence, they're sort of a "one stop shop".

We're in Maine, so fall cleanup and, obviously, snow plowing will be two of the major services they want to push. They also want to focus on the home inspection service (it's essentially 100% profit for them).

We're planning on rotating two or three spots through the campaign, but I'm getting stuck on how to make these services sound particular fun, interesting and compelling. I want to avoid as many cliches as possible, so I figured I'd reach out to you fine folks to at least help point me in the right direction!

• July 31, 2015 7:11 AM PDT

Clifton,

The best and simplest way to convey this information is by recording the client....Ask them questions regarding each topic and let them respond the way they would if they were talking with a prospective customer who would be asking such questions before deciding to hire them....

They are after all the expert, and who better to convey these points than them?  They have these conversations everyday with prospective customers.....Now they're doing this by broadcasting their talking points to your listeners.....

Any piece of copy invites clichés.   Extemporaneous delivery by experts is powerful because it's authentic, believable...

That's what we want for the client isn't it?

• 15 posts
    July 31, 2015 7:15 AM PDT

Troy,

This is an excellent idea; I know they would have some trepidation with stepping into the booth to record the spot for themselves...but I can definitely see the value in essentially transcribing their responses or re-creating (to a degree) the conversational tone.

I'll definitely try employing something like this with them. Thanks!

• July 31, 2015 7:35 AM PDT

You'll be surprised how many clients will do this.....If you present to them the reason why it's in their best interest to do it..   I record in the field mostly with a digital recorder......If they can come to the studio that's great.  I do whatever is convenient for the client.....Just be mindful of bad acoustics when out of studio....Especially rooms with nothing to absorb sound off the walls....Most environments will be just fine, but it's up to you to determine if the particular room/area will work....I simply won't record someone in a space that has too much echo.....

There should be no trepidation from any client/prospect....Again if you ask questions in the way a prospective client would ask them....They should be right in their comfort zone.....They do this everyday!

Last thing:  If you determine someone just can't convey their talking points very well (and some can't)  then you'll have to rely on some sort of script....You know what the clichés are....Leave them out.....That's how to get better when writing copy....Hope that helps.....

• 15 posts
    August 3, 2015 11:29 AM PDT

It does! You've been extremely helpful.

I already had a conceptual grasp of what you told me, but it helped to be essentially slapped in the face with it; who else is better equipped to explain why people should do business than the business owners themselves?

I've always tried to ensure the copy I've written was as "authentic" as possible, but I do think I'll start recording my clients when it comes time to start putting copy together, Even if they don't want to be directly involved in the recording process, it'll provide me with their exact words instead of just my notes; regardless of how thorough my note-taking is, their actual phrasing and word choice is still extremely valuable.

You gave me a wonderful, "Duh!" moment, which is something I always appreciate.