Looking for Ideas for a great ad campaign for a Tanning Salon

• 4 posts
    April 26, 2016 9:05 PM PDT

Hi there.  I was hoping somebody had some helpful ideas for a new client.  My client just recently purchased her business and she really wants to get the word out "New ownership" "New Management".  With that being said I would like something long term with her so I sm looking for some brilliant ideas. My client is wanting to give out free tanning sessions, lotions etc and I honestly want something that will match her personality.  She is very funny, spunky, outgoing and FUN!  So very important for me to match this to her..  Has anybody done something similiar for a Tanning Salon.  Thanks in advance

• 1373 posts
    April 27, 2016 10:11 AM PDT

Hello Niki,

I'll include this post in this week's newsletter, which goes out tomorrow evening, but in the meantime, here are some discussion threads you might like to check out if you haven't seen them already:

Tanning Salons

Hair & Beauty Salon Spots (this thread includes spots for tanning salons)

Holiday Promotion for Tanning Salon

Please keep us posted on what you do for this client!

Rebecca

• 5 posts
    April 29, 2016 6:25 AM PDT

Hi Niki,

"...I honestly want something that will match her personality.  She is very funny, spunky, outgoing and FUN!  So very important for me to match this to her.."

Think of the business as a present (Christmas present, birthday present...)

The personality of the owner and the personality in the spots are the wrapping.  You can dress up and decorate the present any way you want.

What counts is the present itself.

First, a present is meant to be given away...it's FOR someone else, not the giver.

The commercial is about the listener, not the business or the owner.

A present is something the RECIPIENT would want.

It's not about what the giver wants to give.  What does the listener/customer want from the tanning salon?  Not bronze skin or healthy glow...It's the "Wow!  You look great!" compliments from others, it's turning heads as they walk down the street.

For copy ideas, I'd go back to the owner.  You said she just bought it...?  It sounds like to me it was an existing business she has taken over...?   Yes...?

Why did she buy it? What drew her to the tanning industry?  She could've bought other businesses, why a tanning salon and why this specific tanning salon?  What does she think she will be doing differently than the  previous owner/manager?  Why is she making those changes?  If I walk in 2 months from now, what will I notice is different:  on the shelves, with the people, with the decor?

Ask those questions from a customer's perspective.  If the owner says, "we're going to repaint the waiting room" a freshly painted waiting room isn't the greatest customer benefit.  But if they're going to turn it into a piece of Hawaii in the middle of town!  Escape your everyday routine!  That might be something to play up.

Giveaways and a fun personality are the easiest thing to add to a commercial (the wrapping and bows)...but what's the foundation for it (the present itself)?

Find the right present, and you'll have commercials and customers for years to come.

Nic