Friday Poll: Have You Installed Windows 10?

• 1373 posts
    June 9, 2016 11:40 PM PDT

Happy Friday, everyone!

The topic of this week’s poll question is one my sister and co-worker Heather and I have been discussing recently*, and that is:

Have you installed Windows 10, and if so, what do you think of it – is it better or worse than the operating system you had previously?

Looking forward to reading your replies!

*Heather hasn't installed Windows 10 yet, and I have. So far, it doesn't seem a lot different from Windows 7, my previous operating system, but there are a couple of functions I haven't been able to figure out yet (getting the calendar in the lower right hand corner and the Windows button in the lower left hand corner to display consistently), which is somewhat annoying.

• June 10, 2016 7:01 AM PDT

We have been told NOT to install it by corporate IT.

• 118 posts
    June 10, 2016 7:36 AM PDT

We have not installed Windows 10 and the tactics being used give reason to question if you should,

Now the pop up windows do not allow you to opt out, only schedule a time to install Windows 10.  You must set a time and then cancel to prevent installation.

When a company operates under such tactics, is the company honorable, having integrity and being honest with the consumer.  Have they the right to invade your computer, trying to force changes?  How are they different from malware except for letting you choose the time to be 'infected'?

I'm still without Windows 10 because we know a few items on the system are known not to operate well under Windows 10, but the tactics, time wasted and bullying of Microsoft, are they even worthy of my money...and if you think Windows 10 is free, wrong, this is the start of an annual fee, coming soon.  In lieu of Windows 11, Windows 10 will evolve via a fee, evolving to Windows 11 through infinity.  And I can say this seems to be a better plan versus new operating systems.

• June 10, 2016 8:11 AM PDT

Yep.  NO problems.

• 6 posts
    June 10, 2016 9:14 AM PDT

Have it at home and corporate IT just installed it on my computer as a test. My personal opinion is that Windows 10 is far superior to previous versions of Windows. With that said, there is a learning curve because it operates much differently and has numerous new features than previous versions. But that has been true of most major Windows revisions. All in all, I'm quite happy with it.

• 21 posts
    June 10, 2016 9:36 AM PDT

I operate under the assumption "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I was a laggard when I bought my present computer 18 months ago and opted for Windows 7.  Daughter's computer had the dreaded 8, I upgraded it to 10 and it was somewhat of an improvement, but not enough to let go of 7 on my own computer.  

When I get the Windows 10 upgrade pop-ups, I click on the red "x" at the upper right corner.  Gatesian logic be damned, I say.

• 180 posts
    June 10, 2016 10:48 AM PDT

I tried to install Windows 10 but it just won't load onto my iMAC!!

• 53 posts
    June 10, 2016 10:51 AM PDT

Right on, Bill Turner.

• 118 posts
    June 10, 2016 11:07 AM PDT

I see many feel Windows 10 is a good thing.  I suspect it is.  My beef is being forced against my will to take it. I want to kick and scream and say 'on my terms, not yours'.  

• 1373 posts
    June 10, 2016 11:11 AM PDT

Definitely with you on that one. I think it's a very bullying strategy. I just got tired of fighting.

• 83 posts
    June 10, 2016 11:34 AM PDT

On the laptop I use for business, yes.  No issues.  We have not installed it on computers in our office.  Windows 7 works just fine, so why bother, until it becomes a requirement?