Client Looking for Information about Social Port

• 1373 posts
    August 3, 2016 12:28 PM PDT

Hello everyone,

Just got off the phone with a customer and friend in radio; one of her clients had been approached about spending money with a service/platform called Social Port, in regard to streaming local high school football games online. Neither my friend nor I had heard about this company/service, but it seems like it could be a competitor for radio ad dollars. So I thought I'd put a shout out to RSC peeps - have you heard about Social Port, and if so, what can you tell us about it?

Thanks so much!

Rebecca

• August 5, 2016 6:54 AM PDT

I have not heard of Social Port but there are dozens of companies doing it in Minnesota and the Dakotas, financed by cable companies, high school groups, the high schools themselves, newspapers, etc; basically anybody who thinks they can make an easy dollar.

Most (but not all) of their play-by-play people are radio wannabees and they sound like it. 

To combat it you need a real relationship with the high school (for more than just sports), the best play-by-play guys you can afford, top-notch equipment so your signal and sound is second-to-none and Top-Of-Mind-Awareness throughout the marketplace/community about what you do, mentioning the sponsors who help you do it!