Texting monetization

• 49 posts
    August 8, 2016 2:24 PM PDT
    I'm setting up a texting service to provide local high school scores, weather and news. Might even try contesting and school closings. What are good ways to monetize this.
    • 6 posts
    August 12, 2016 7:16 AM PDT

I can think of two ways. Have it set up as a subscription service, and/or have sponsors. "Today's scores are being brought to you by...."

• 37 posts
    August 12, 2016 3:22 PM PDT

First of all Rebecca - great idea!  You're combining the demand generation of radio with the micro-targeting of digital.  Use Tiny URLs in each message to offer value to turn subscribers into advertisers' customers.  Rather than percentage discounting cutting into advertisers' profits, have the Tiny URL offers create more value and create more customers, e.g. $12 gift certificate per party of two or more at XYZ restaurant any Mon.-Wed. after 4 pm. Valid til Sept. 30, 2016.

• 8 posts
    August 25, 2016 7:55 AM PDT

Frankly - it's just stealing money from your traditional radio advertising unless there is a way to tie texting into a client's radio campaign and plan.  But as with most things digital we need to better charge for the services...

We have found texting gets about 4-5X the number of callers when we do contesting. People never believe they can win using the phone apparently and they feel they have a better chance with texting.  Pretty much true and it frees up air talent who no longer have to monitor a phone to take calls. And really...how uncool can you be to be using a PHONE to make a call...I mean how 2000s can you get?