Social Media Giveaway

• 9 posts
    June 27, 2017 2:15 PM PDT

We have some GREAT tickets to give away but the promoter wants us to do 4 pairs on-air (easy peasy) and 1 pair through social media.  

We have an event on Thursday (remote) that I think would go great with this ticket giveaway.  (It's a shaved ice truck)

What is a good, natural way to combine or do a ticket giveaway through social media during an event?  

Or should I keep it separate and not try to muddy up the remote and ticket giveaway?

FYI -- both clients would not mind doing it together -- to them, they would like the hype IMO

• 1373 posts
    June 27, 2017 4:17 PM PDT

A great idea from Misty Hill on the RSC Facebook page:

Have people who come to the event post a photo of themselves with an assigned hashtag like #KQBZgiveaway and choose from those entrants. This drives traffic to the event and adds the element of social media.

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at June 28, 2017 9:24 AM PDT
    • 6 posts
    June 27, 2017 5:04 PM PDT
    I'm mobile, so this is not fully baked.

I'd use Facebook Live.

As part of your event promos, announce that you'll be doing FB Live at such and such time during the event "for those that can't attend." Ask a question related to the event to those watching via FB. An open-ended question. Then have the Promo Director or GM to pick a winner. FB Live the event while people answering. Encourage FB to invite others or post on their own pages. 3-4 songs later announce the winner and archive the video.

More 'coverage' for the event, two-way audience engagement, and you're cool for using FBL.

And you'll learn something. Post back and let us know what you decided.

Steve Worden
    Wizard of Ads East
    • 3 posts
    June 28, 2017 6:18 AM PDT

Hi! Going off of the idea of posting photos - Use both Facebook and Instagram - have info on your Facebook page promoting the social media ticket giveway by using a clever hastag tied to your shaved ice event and guests can enter in the contest with their creative instagram entries - you can base the winner who enters the best shot, and announce the winner on the Facebook page the following day after you have time to go through all the entries.

Good luck!

Erika Jeffery - Sun & Fun Media

• 11 posts
    June 28, 2017 8:34 AM PDT

We do a fun contest at our remotes when we have a "valued prize" that works wonders, and it impresses the business owner. We create a quick yet stylish graphic that posts to the stations FB page right before the remote (maybe 30 minutes) It usually says something to the effect of "THIS POST COULD MAKE YOU A WINNER" with the station logo and maybe what the prize is. Then we tell the listenrs the first person to "Show This Post" to "BOB" at XYZ Auto sales wins "4 Passes to XYZ Event" we usually have people lined up (10-20) , they catch is that noone knows who "BOB" is....hes someone thats maybe just a behind the scenes guy or someone that is not that well known in the compnay. The listners are all over trying to find "Bob". What this does is it shows the client that our listners are there to support and they are listening, and it creates a nice crowd which also looks good on the station. Its worsk great! - Hope that made sense!

• 1373 posts
    June 28, 2017 9:21 AM PDT

Great advice from Robert E. Lee on the RSC Facebook page:

Maybe I'm not really understanding the 'issue' you're raising, but, yes, social media and a remote ABSOLUTELY would work well together. There are many different listener-participation activities you can do that wed the remote and social media together, but, heck yeah, combine the two! And I would add just one more observation: It sounds to me like the shaved ice company is a small, local mom-and-pop company that is going to benefit far, far more from this social media connection than the ticket provider and whatever sports event or concert or whatever that the latter is promoting. My point is, just make sure, after the event, if it turns out a big crowd, that both clients understand that 'radio works', and that they both need to maintain their advertising and other connections with your station(s). And, get firm testimonials from them confirming that 'radio worked' for them...use those testimonials as part of your presentation for other potential, new clients, and for upselling existing clients. If the remote event is successful, this should be a 'win-win-win' outcome for all involved. Literally, capitalize on it!!!

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at June 28, 2017 9:23 AM PDT
    • 1373 posts
    June 28, 2017 9:38 AM PDT

From Diane Scarpelli (from the main page): "Agree with Stephen - use FaceBook Live. It works great with remotes, personal appearances and remote giveaways and is simple to effectively implement  - important for you on short notice."

• 8 posts
    June 30, 2017 6:21 PM PDT

Well I missed the deadline but I still wanted to suggest using YouTube. Set up a YouTube channel and live stream a remote.

I don’t how many stations are doing this but it will add another dimension to remotes and giveaways, something to consider for future promotions.

• 9 posts
    July 4, 2017 12:56 PM PDT

Post mortem:

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. We will definitely use some in the future but we ended up not doing a joint promotion and did the ticket giveaways through twitter separate from the event.

The problem we have (and we often have) is that there was not enough time to execute a successful combination plan. The remote client was slow to respond via email and messages and we didn't have enough time to properly promote it. They wanted to go along with the remote and was moderately happy. We are in a college campustown and it is slower during the summer. I just know we could have done better with more time to properly promote it.