Friday Poll: How Do You Invest in Yourself?

• 1373 posts
    August 17, 2017 9:37 PM PDT

Happy Friday, everyone!

In a recent blog post published on the Radio Ink website, Bob McCurdy, Vice President of Sales for The Beasley Media Group, wrote about the importance of investing in yourself (click here to read the article). He states, "Investing in one’s own professional development is simply the best investment anyone can make. Stocks and bonds are nice but they go up and down. An investment in your professional knowledge and expertise will only go one way – up – and will pay greater long-term dividends. This 'investment' could take the form of subscriptions to various industry or advertiser trade publications, seminars, conferences, evening or online courses, books, etc.... Our knowledge and expertise is our professional 'currency' and this 'currency' is exactly why our clients feel comfortable relying on our advice, insights, and marketing recommendations. 'Comfortable' clients are more likely to follow our recommendations and invest more with us. When we invest in ourselves, we are betting on ourselves, and who better to bet on?"

So today, we'd like to know:

How do you invest in yourself?

Looking forward to reading your replies!

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at August 17, 2017 9:50 PM PDT
    • 121 posts
    August 18, 2017 6:04 AM PDT

Shpwing my age here I suppose, but in 1986 I made the move from the programming to advertising side of radio.  My position was with WMUZ-FM in Detroit where I was originally teamed with a salesperson as their producer to write and create on-going advertising campaigns for clients.

The first book I bought was Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Ries and Jack Trout.  A classic that everyone should read.  Then pick up any (or all) of the books by either one of these two men and Laura Ries.

Next couple of books I bought were by Harvey MacKay. Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition  and Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt: Do What You Love, Love What You Do, and Deliver More Than You Promise.  

These authors helped me break out of my shell and begin a fasinating career that I never would have dreamed of when I first got into radio.

Other authors that I have invested in include: Roy H. Williams and his Wizard of Ads collection.  There are a number of Wizard of Ads partners that have material including newsletters you can subsribe to.

How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling by Frank Bettger is an excellent book to read over and over again that will help you remember your "why" when you are questioning yourself for getting into this field.

About a dozen years ago, Wayne Ens hosted a TOMA seminar for the stations I was with.  I recomend his book 101 Ways to Get Lucky as an idea resource.

"Doctor" Phil Bernstein is also a great resource that I have invested my money in.

You also have to go out and meet people.  I am in my 3rd year of membership of a local BNI chapter that meets weekly.  This is both a time and financial investment. 

Earlier this month I invested $49 in a LinkedIn Seminar that a friend of mine was hosting and picked uo a few tips that I'm implementing.

The more people know who you are and what you do, or more importantly how you can help, the more you will sought out.

Lastly, I invested time and money in being found online.  Around 2005 I was writing multiple articles on blogs that I ran on the subject of media, marketing and advertising.  I published daily.  Then in 2011, I moved over to my own "real website", and contiue to write and publish every single week.  This year I launched a 10 minute podcast version of the weekly updates.   

I have not spent money to promote my online activity (it just grew organically), but I am preparing to give the website a make over and will start spending a few dollars to promote(advertise) every week.

• 135 posts
    August 18, 2017 6:40 AM PDT

Trainings! Not just sales trainings but leadership too. Anytime I hear or see someone talk/post about a book, i order it.  Can always "get" something out of each one. In the little downtime i have, I watch training videos on LBS.

• August 18, 2017 1:02 PM PDT

I have been in the Industry over 40 years and brag that I've learned something new every day.  I read and subscribe:  The Wizard of Ads Trilogy, Chuck Mefford, Paul Weyland, Dale Carnegie, Donald Trump; Small Market Radio Newsletter, The Lund Letter, Harvey Mackay, Jim Williams Training (I miss him).