Friday Poll: What Incentives Appeal to Salespeople?

• 993 posts
    February 14, 2019 6:48 PM PST

Rebecca recently posted an article from Radio INK to the RSC Facebook Page. The article, an interview with Bob Dakin (GSM of WKMO, WRZI, WVKB, in Elizabethtown, Kentucky), dealt with finding great salespeople. One of the questions raised was "Are incentives important to salespeople?"

RSC member Robert L. Hunnicutt III responded: "Incentives are important for salespeople! I would love to hear some incentives folks like Mr Dakin have employed. I know cash is king....but what else? I've heard of weekend getaways for a top closer of the Month. $100 cash for anyone that closes a deal over $500 that day. etc...."

So, we thought it might be fun to hear from our members in response to this. Money? Travel? Extra vacation days? 

WHAT INCENTIVES MOST APPEAL TO YOU, AS A SALESPERSON OR MANAGER?

Please post your answer as a reply below.

This post was edited by Rod Schwartz at February 14, 2019 9:50 PM PST
    • 10 posts
    February 15, 2019 9:06 AM PST

Over the years I've found that for newer people - cash is king (money incentives and/or additional client responsibilities).  For experienced people with more established client lists, incentives such as entertainment weekend getaway's, dinners, and extra training opportunities are good, but most of all, thank-you recognition from "higher ups" along with the ability to participate in things like planning sessions, creating promotions etc. create buy-in and help develop managers of the future.   

• 1373 posts
    February 15, 2019 11:58 AM PST

Here's a related discussion from a while ago: The Most Memorable Spiff You've Ever Received.

This post was edited by Rebecca Hunt at February 15, 2019 11:58 AM PST
    • 17 posts
    February 15, 2019 12:00 PM PST

I would LOVE to hear some ideas for incentives...we do not have any at all.  When I was at the local newspaper we had incentives quarterly, that really added up and was huge!!! We also would go mid month, close to end of the month and get appetizers/drinks brainstorm and help each other with ideas. Incentives are a great way to keep creativity moving, look outside the box, uncover that rock AND yes a Thank You is always a bonus!!

• 1373 posts
    February 15, 2019 1:52 PM PST

From Roy Compton on the RSC Facebook page: Cash Baby ... and any perks such as free parking, gas, auto maintenance coverage, meals, pay the phone bill, etc. Set up an expense account (with a cap) and award salespeople for month or other length of time deemed appropriate.

• 1373 posts
    February 18, 2019 10:32 AM PST

From Diane Scarpelli: Paid days off. Especially in a month with a holiday weekend. The salesperson hitting goal can choose the Friday into the weekend or the Tuesday after the weekend - making a 3 day weekend like Memorial Day or July 4 even longer. Sometimes the person has already taken the Friday or Tuesday and adds Thursday or Wednesday for an even longer holiday weekend. We find they work to get everything they can in before they go so their time off is worry free.