Friday Poll: Your Most Surprising Sale

• 1373 posts
    June 3, 2010 11:49 PM PDT
    Happy Friday, everyone!

This week's poll question is, What is the most surprising sale you've ever made?

We're looking forward to reading your stories!
    • 9 posts
    June 4, 2010 12:42 AM PDT
    please bear with me, as i am typing this on my wife's netbooks(those new tiny laptops that are half the size of 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper)

i was working at clearchannel against a draw on a 6 month probationary basis, all the whales were taken by the senior reps, and i was cold calling my ass off as i had been given no spending accounts going in.(it was my second sales job and a jump to a bigger market so i took the gig)

there had been a severe rain storm that caused an overwhelming amount of flooding in several areas, so i started calling on appliance dealers, insurance companies and plumbers...basically product categories that had something to offer those affected by the storm. one of the calls was a message i left with a no-name plumber who had never tried advertising before and asked to set an appointment with him, he was very fond of The Sean Hannity Show and ended up buying a 6 month sponsorship for $20,000. i had zero sales on the books until then and to me who had nothing on the books, this was epic. it also got my confidence up, and in turn i started bringing more sales after that.

all in all, it underscores the importance of cold-calling, and opening up that pipeline, no matter how many big accounts we have and can comfortably upsell, we must continue to focus on the basics of cold-calling, because you never know when an unknown mom and pop plumber operation has $20K they're ready to try on your station. -John Raynar, KKHJ-FM, Pago Pago, American Samoa
    • 58 posts
    June 4, 2010 4:19 AM PDT
    I took a Steelers jersey campaign to a client who advertises with us every year. This past year she turned me down saying she was cutting back on her advertising. I came back to the office and customized it for her. What did I do? I removed all references to the Steelers and retitled it, "I Own a Furniture Store and a Vintage Camaro and I Want to Advertise at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and President's Day Campaign." I took it to her, she looked up at me and smiled, and signed right away. Even though I brought it to her, I figured she'd see right through my ruse (which she probably did) and I really didn't expect her to take it. It goes to show you that it always pays to know your client
    • 1 posts
    June 4, 2010 5:21 AM PDT
    The FBI was the most unlikely sale I ever made....State Farm was closing a main branch of their company and the FBI is always looking for a few good men. The insurance agents being laid off were highy qualified and not that many steps away from having the quallifications for the FBI agent positions. Perfect fit...this was a lot of fun,too. Wish I could remember the budget...the campaign generated so many qualified applicants it was insane. win-win-win
    • 22 posts
    June 4, 2010 6:27 AM PDT
    WAKO AM FM was putting together its first ever Summer Time Home Show. I was attending a
    funeral when the funeral home owner / director began asking me questions about the event.
    In about a week he came out to the station and signed up for the event. His business was the talk of the event.
    He brought his embalmbing table, machines, fluids, all equipment used in that process. It was a two day home show and with out a doubt that was the most surprising sale / event I ever made.

Kent Lankford
    WAKO 103.1 FM & THE BIG AM 910
    Lawrenceville, Ill - Vincennes, Ind.
    • 5 posts
    June 4, 2010 7:10 AM PDT
    I think the most surprising sale I've ever made was a Sale I just closed with the Help of my friend Blake Messer. The business is a small RV park and Campground in a town where there are only 5 members in their Chamber of Commerce. I was so excited to find a small business that was excited about really promoting their business in such a depressed area. The mom/pop idea that just waiting for campers to drive in seeings how they are just off the snake river just wouldn't do for them. And what's more exciting is, that they are seeing results!
    • 73 posts
    June 4, 2010 8:10 AM PDT
    This happened a number of years ago and involved a local industry and a trade union. The industry was in a time of renewal with the union and it had become contentious. I received a call from the plant manager wanting to advertise for over the road drivers. They bought a :30 sec. commercial per hour on both of our statons, 24 hours a day, seven days a week for six weeks. Copy never changed. Just asking for applicants to drive, etc.

It was a strange sale and of course wasn't there the next year because relations had returned to normal but it was my most unusual sale.
  • June 7, 2010 11:58 AM PDT
    Actually...as a follow up to one of your other "Surprising Sales Ever Made" regarding a funeral home....I was attending a funeral last year and started talking to the owner of the funeral home while everyone else was at the viewing (which I did not care for). Anyway...during our discussion about his business I was able to sell him on advertising with my radio station with a yearly buy for his funeral home. It had to be one of the most unique sells I have ever made...but I must admit...it was using my time well...attending the funeral and making a sell.
    John Harper
    WMEL Talk Radio
    Cocoa Beach/Melbourne, Florida
    • 1373 posts
    June 7, 2010 12:53 PM PDT
    Talk about carpe diem - love it!
    • 455 posts
    June 8, 2010 11:59 AM PDT
    About 3 years ago, I cold-called a small damaged freight and grocery. The owner, immediately upon introduction, told me he had used radio before, was a believer, but didn't see how I could help him sell any groceries...but he kept talking. After a few moments, I told him he had issued me a personal challenge and I was going to accept. I told him I thought I was a pretty good copy writer and, if he would seriously consider it, I would put the first three ads together for a year long campaign. He agreed. The next week he signed the deal and remains one of my best clients today. At one point, he said he wanted to cut his budget...and I told him I would not do it becuase I knew he would be back in a few months complaining about results. We did not cut the budget. As a sidenote, just a few weeks ago we ran a big Tent Sale with him. A major grocery chain, less than two blocks away, countered by spending $20,000 since that time.
    • 9 posts
    June 11, 2010 10:42 AM PDT
    Bull Sales!! What can I say except that we are a rual area and we run Ag. programming. Ranchers have their bull sales anywhere from December to April and because they are spread out, I do alot of 'cold-calling'. This is NOT my favorite time of the year for sure. So I get the Cattle Calendar and start calling! I call this rancher, never had talked to him, they are always VERY busy! I give him a quick run down who we are, what one of the bull sale packages would be and he says, " sounds good to me, I'll give you my wife to get the particulars. ( I was rather speechless about then!) After I talked with her and got the info I needed she gave me back to her husband and my comment was, " so this is what you really want to do!?" He said yes and I was done! It was amazing to me, but then I am amazed everytime I get a sale and really do find this an exciting, fun job!