Friday Poll: Should Telephone Numbers Be Used In Radio Ads?

• 1373 posts
    April 12, 2012 9:35 PM PDT

Happy Friday, everyone!

This week’s poll question was sparked by a conversation that followed Rod’s mention of this Brent Walker* video, Think Landing Page, Not Phone Number.

So here’s the question:

Are you for or against including a phone number in a radio ad?  Why?

Looking forward to reading your answers!

This post was edited by Rod Schwartz at August 16, 2017 1:14 PM PDT
  • April 12, 2012 11:53 PM PDT

Opposed to them when the client does not do BUSINESS over the phone.

For them when the drive is to get people to call to DO business (Taxi companies, pizza delivery)

Opposed to them when people wont remember the number ... or they're not given a very good REASON to remember it or phone.

http://rushtononradio.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/talking-telephone-numbers/

• 42 posts
    April 12, 2012 11:57 PM PDT

Phone numbers take unneccessary  time on an ad  almost 5 seconds and the truth is , you listen to radio as you do something else, unlike tv where you sit and watch and can have a writting pad and a pen. You listen to radio wahile driving cooking ,etc i also think the only phone numbers one can quickly pick are numbers  like 999 0r 111  .ifact its easier to mention the website than to give phone numbers

• April 13, 2012 12:10 AM PDT

But even a website is a waste of time if you can't capture customers, isn't it?

And people have the most radio unfriendly web sites!

we once had a client who wanted us to read out... h t t p : / / 

www.two2too_two3.com

• 9 posts
    April 13, 2012 12:47 AM PDT

This is a great question, as it makes us question ourselves as reps, insofar as it begs a larger question of, "are we advertising consultants or order takers?

I'd bet 9 times out of 10 when we hear a phone number in an spot, it's because the client wrote the ad and we didn't bother to tell them what a waste of time and money this is. Saying a phone number WITHOUT an area code is seven words. That's roughly 15% of a 30-second spot, and unless it's 555-5555 (or Five-Five-Five, Five-Five-Five-Five), we are helping our customers throw their money away.

Just ask yourself, when is the last time you heard an ad and rushed to write down what the phone number was? Unless we thought we had the winning ticket for last week's mega millions jackpot it's doubtful any of us have ever written down a phone number from a radio ad or bothered to try and commit it to memory.

Back to my original point, it's important that we tell our clients how useless phone numbers are, if we can articulate the above scenario alone to our clients, then we have set ourselves apart from the other stations that sit by the fax, and wait for their customers to write bad scripts, when it's ultimately our job to do that for them so we can make them money and ensure mutual success in the future.  

Have a good wknd everybody, JR

• April 13, 2012 12:55 AM PDT

On the other hand... I can remember a phone number for a Mortgage Company and a Travel Information hotline from 20 years ago! Because it was sung to me!

I can remember a phone number of a car dealership because it used a clever neumonic.... (is that's what it's called?) Two 84 year old ladies on Christmas Eve... 2 84 24 12 (although in USA the 24 and 12 would be the other way around?). But still I would never call a number to buy a car!!

• 2 posts
    April 13, 2012 2:29 AM PDT

Phone numbers ARE A THROW-AWAY, and in my opinion a waste to have in a commercial.   The exception is when that is the only way to get in touch with the advertiser is via telephone and they don't have a location.  Then it makes sense..   And I'd hope they have an easy to remember number like 800-527-18-10.     Phone numbers can take up precious time in a commercial and if it's a 30---you've taken around 6 seconds for a throw-away instead of using that 6 seconds to get the clients services mentioned and sold!!

A couple more notes regarding phone numbers in spots----IT IS "DEATH" to include more than ONE number, by the time you've said one number and then hit the listener with a 2nd number, you've totally lost them and pretty much any hope of getting them to call the business.      My other point it's a proven fact that it's much easier for people to recall less numbers---example 727-1851...it should be said Seven-Two-Seven-Eighteen-Fifty One......NOT Seven Two Seven, One Eight Five One.    I'm finally getting my production clients catching on about NOT putting in more than one phone number in a spot---if they want BOTH numbers then II simply make it into two spots, one number in #1 and the other number in #2.    And also NOT using individual numbers like 1 8 5 1, but letting us say "18-51."   

One other pet peeve of mine--in a spot are the words "Located at"----people DO NOT talk that way in real life.   Instead of saying "Tim's Used Cars located at 72-15 East Johnson"---Say this---"Tim's Used Cars, 72-15 East Johnson."    You've used less time doing it that way and in 30 seconds time is precious!

I've had my own production company www.cbsspokane1.com for 14 years and have been in "the biz" for close to 4 decades......and I really do know what I'm talking about...trust me.    

One other thing when it comes to writing scripts--to make sure scripts are a proper length--follow this proven formula of mine:    use a 14 size font, and BOTH CAPITAL LETTERS and small letters when you write.   7 1/2 to 8 lines is tops for a medium read 30, and 16-17 lines tops for a medium read 60.   If you use these guidelines, you won't have to keep editing scripts or editing the spot that's been cut and runs around 33-34 seconds!      Need more info about spots and/or getting them produced for you, feel free to hit me up at 509-465-18-50.   

• 8 posts
    April 13, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

I try whenever possible to leave phone numbers out.  I explain to the client that peopledon't sit, drive, walk or run with a pen and paper in hand in the event they hear a commercial they want to respond to and write down a phone number. The same goes with giving anaddress.  People don't drive up and down a street looking at each address, they'll look for a business sign.  A phone number can be given it it spells a word (289-BUGS) that advertises the service.  But if the client wants it in the cmmercial and can't be talked out of it then do it.  You still must remind the business owner that a commercal is limited to so many words and each digit in a phone number counts as a word. Give the business owner the script and ask them to edit out what he feels is unimportant.

• 2 posts
    April 13, 2012 5:35 AM PDT

What's the point of the commercial? If a phone call is the most viable action for listeners to make, then put the number in. Often. To say that's a "waste of time" is a cop out. Sure, some businesses will need to do some legwork ahead of time (get a vanity number or include the number in the company name somehow... or just hire a receptionist with decent phone etiquette) but when they need the phone to ring, the radio can make it happen. Of course the rest of the spot must be engaging, convincing, and intriguing too. If we don't believe in the power of a good spot with a good schedule, then why are we even in this business?

• April 13, 2012 5:40 AM PDT

I am totally against adding phone numbers in ads, who has time to take them down? Who listens to the radio ready with a pen and paper of typing it onto the phone? I will certainly not remember the rest of the ad trying to memorize the number…so NO NUMBERS IN ADS this is RADIO not PRINT!!!

• 67 posts
    April 13, 2012 5:45 AM PDT

My first 19 years in radio, we very rarely added phone numbers to ads.  Just not in our lifestyle to remember and write down a number while listening to the radio.  However, when I made a switch to WIXE in North Carolina, phone numbers were in ALL ads.  I didn't know what to think !  But, it's weird and out of the norm that listeners call our station all day wanting to know phone numbers when they miss them in the ad, and even want to know if we recommend the advertiser - that gets uncomfortable unless we've personally had experience with them.  Now, with all of the electronic devices on hand and radio as an intrusive - immediate - on the spot...media.....the phone number can be called quickly after hearing the ad.  Could also be looked up quickly.  So..............we put em in there anyway.......but, just one number only !

• 18 posts
    April 13, 2012 5:50 AM PDT

I've always felt and been told that if the clients primary source of business is the phone..say it, say it again, tell 'em you said and then say it again. Otherwise forget it. If you have a pen poised the entire time you listen maybe...but who does? And by the time they get one, the ad's over.

• 2 posts
    April 13, 2012 5:53 AM PDT

What about a business with an immediate-action opportunity? Someone previously mentioned pizza, which is a great example. With a well-timed flight of commercials, the radio can drive lunch, dinner, or late-night sales. There's also the concept of putting the number into that special place in the memory of a listener. That requires a big schedule though. Or even the "emergency number" for a business like a locksmith or auto repair. An idea for that includes "put this number in your phone now, because you might need it sometime" and yes, this idea DOES work.

• 1 posts
    April 13, 2012 6:10 AM PDT

As a rule, I don't like to use them.  As mentioned in this thread earlier, phone numbers take up unnecessary time and are rarely written down.  If the client's phone number spells a word, such as 236-COOL for a HVAC dealer, then it becomes more valid to include and easier to remember.  Business name three times, phone number once, IF it meets the above criteria, if at all.

• 9 posts
    April 13, 2012 6:22 AM PDT

Nix the phone number.

If you type out the numbers when developing a script, you see how much time they take up in a precious thirty seconds.

Include something more memorable and relatable to the subject in the creative.

• 7 posts
    April 13, 2012 6:23 AM PDT

Against.  In rural Canadian areas a phone number is like a address something most of us don't use to find a business.  The 10 word length of a phone number adds nothing to the creative value of the commercial.  It is better to say "business name located in town or next to something or on a street

Radio station phone numbers are a great example.  Not many people remember them so we tell them right when we want them to call.  If phone numbers were easy to remember we wouldn't have speed dials and contact lists. It has been my discovery that if our client ads capture the interest of our audience that they will look up the number (probably on line)  or check out the web site if they need the phone number. Just a rural Canadian perspective.

• 3 posts
    April 13, 2012 6:39 AM PDT

I think you have to weigh each advertiser's needs carefully.  I agree with Simon that phone business should def be considered.  I have a plumber's number stuck in my head because it was part of the jingle.  Guess who got my call when I was ankle deep in water in my basement?  On the other hand, because of programmed cell phones and quick dial, etc. I barely remember my own number, much less one I hear on the radio.  I have to think if I'm going to dial my wife and not just hold down the "2" on my mobile.  

I would have to agree that a well placed domain name (and we recommend your domain name be your business name, don't try and get cute!) will be the best.  "Just go to www.mybusiness.com today!"  You get another name mention in and a call to action all in one.

• 1 posts
    April 13, 2012 6:42 AM PDT

There are a few cases when a phone number is necessary.  But, I'm not a fan of phone numbers in the ad;  takes up valuable time.  If a client wants their phone number in the ad three times, what are they really selling, a product./service, or their phone number?   I usually get a good response from client when I ask, "Which is more important for the listener to understand about your business, the product/service?  Or your phone number? What makes your phone number different from your competitors?"

• 19 posts
    April 13, 2012 6:47 AM PDT

Phone numbers work IF they have a number easily remembered that tie in with the client's name or particular expertise - example - a Weight Loss center with the number 555-DIET. That works. However, just like an address, if the phone number is not easily remembered it becomes cumbersome, takes precious time in the spot and will not be remembered anyway. Better to direct the listener to the client's website which is (usually) easier to remember and will also give the client more web traffic and the opportunity for the potential customer to explore the business through the website. This may lead to increased awareness/sales...and isn't that the desired outcome? And of course, lead the client directly to the client's store!

• April 13, 2012 6:56 AM PDT

In a large radio market NO phone numbers.  But since I have come to a small town with only one radio station I have come to realize that many listeners are trained to listen for phone numbers.  Still I have advertisers who want to include more than one phone number in their ad.  Come on!

• 455 posts
    April 13, 2012 7:12 AM PDT

What specific action do you want the customer to make? If it's call, use the phone number only. If it's stop by, use the address or reference point only. If it's go the the website, use the website only.

With smart phones, etc., finding the location, phone, and website is easy. Ask your client if they know the phone number or address for their dentist, for example. I'll bet they don't but I'm certain they know how to get in touch with them. 

• 1 posts
    April 13, 2012 7:17 AM PDT

100% agree with Sam Njuguna below!

• April 13, 2012 7:17 AM PDT

If the client has a LOCAL vanity number that is very easy to remember- I say go ahead and use it. I suspect more listeners are gong to go to the website- so be sure they have a great web address that gets indelibly stuck in the listeners' brain!

• April 13, 2012 7:17 AM PDT

I really really believe in them, because we do get calls at the station where people have heard an ad but cant find the phone number in the book. I still also believe that alot of people do not have computers to look them up either. If they must call for reservations or for daily specials then it must be in the ad.

A new business that can't be in the phone book, for a whole year till its printed again,should just do 5's to get their phone number out.

Delores

• 8 posts
    April 13, 2012 8:04 AM PDT
    I've never known anyone that wrote down a phone number from a radio ad. The only time a phone number works in a commercial is when it is the main focus of the message maybe produced as a jingle or musical tag line. Where listeners should be directed is to the advertisers website where not only the phone number is listed but valuable information that the listener wasn't aware of.