Sales Super Achievers Earn $150,000 per year +

• 193 posts
    July 2, 2013 12:23 PM PDT

I've been fortunate to work alongside and train hundreds of salespeople in my career.  I've seen many create a good lifestyle for their families.  There's a sliver of less than 5% that I call the Super Achievers.  These are professional salespeople with annual incomes of $150,000+ followed with the respect and admiration of their industry.  What do these salespeople possess that makes them Super Achievers?

The Super Achievers are the elite 5% of the sales industry. They tend to stay with their employers for many years and contribute greatly to the company's bottom line. Management loves them and relies on them to consistently reach their targets and over achieve. Many times the Super Achievers make up for other salespeople who may be under budget. In my 30 years of sales experience, here's what they have that makes them different…

1.  Drive

The Super Achievers are full of ambition and have an intense desire to be successful.  Their work ethic is strong and they are capable of working without their Sales Manager over their shoulder.  In fact, they hate micro management and tend to set their own hours.  They get the job done consistently because of their personal commitment to achievement.  With a strong drive and competitive nature, these salespeople have a lack of patience.  Super Achievers like to move things along quickly and run fast.

2.  Intense Customer Commitment

If you asked a Super Achiever who they work for, they will readily tell you their clients.  Without them, they feel they wouldn't have a career.  They stand by their customers and respect their needs with vigilance.  They will be vocal with Sales Management in this regard.  They ask great questions, listen to the answers and only present products and services that match their clients' needs and desires.

3.  Self-Accountability and Self-Discipline

These are the 2 most distinguishing qualities of the Super Achiever.  They have personal standards above their employers and hold themselves responsible for their situations.  They have the ability to repeat their pattern of success without looking for a shortcut.  They run their account list like a franchise within the company they represent, making investments when necessary to get to the next level.

4.  Ability to Adapt

Super Achievers thrive on change.  They look at it as an opportunity for advancement and quickly change their thinking based on the current environment.  They realize most other Salespeople may have a challenge with change and don't want to be categorized as such.  They see change as growth and want to make the most of any opportunity, no matter what it appears like.

5.  Professional Development

Super Achievers believe in self-education.  They consider it part of consistent learning to take training, read a business book or interact with knowledgeable people to learn through interaction and observation.  They are always open to new ideas and techniques to improve their skill set to get better at what they do.

To achieve sales success, there are over forty specific qualities required.  These five are the ones that Super Achievers exhibit on a consistent basis.  It's what they are known for, and in my experience, clearly sets them apart from their colleagues.

Are there others that you feel are worthy of mention?  What one attribute comes to mind?  I'd love to hear your opinion.

If you or your company is interested in learning more about professional development, please click the appropriate link below…

If you found this article useful, I'd love your feedback in the comment section.  The more we share, the more we all learn. 

Thanks!

Pro Sales Guy Logo

www.prosalesguy.ca%2Fblog%2Fcontainer%2F2013%2Fjanuary%2F12%2Fdo-managers-need-more-training.aspx&screen_name=DavidWarawa&tw_p=followbutton&variant=2.0" target="_self">Follow@DavidWarawa

Sales Training Victoria

Sales Training Vancouver

Sales Training Calgary

Sales Training Edmonton

Sales Training British Columbia

Sales Training Alberta

• 455 posts
    July 12, 2013 12:46 PM PDT

So, if management still micromanages (#1), and insists the client is to sold every product the company offers regardless of their need for it (#2) what impact does this have on the Super Achiever? 

• 53 posts
    July 12, 2013 1:43 PM PDT

Dave,

Great article. Hey, would you consider doing a sales training in Abbotsford, BC? Our station is in Lynden, WA right across the border. Getting to Vancouver would be a bit more of a drive for us, but closer could work. There are other stations in the Fraser Valley that might also attend. Just checking, I am not in management anymore, so cannot tell you we'd do this if you said you'd do it, but perhaps we would. Also, what would you charge for a one-day training? We are all veterans of media sales, but can always learn more. What say you? 

• 193 posts
    July 13, 2013 3:57 PM PDT

That's a great question Jack!  Thanks for being bold to ask something that I'm sure others are thinking.  If Management micromanages a Super Achiever, it almost always has a negative impact on them.  The Super Achiever feels mistrust and disrespect.  They feel that they should be allowed certain freedoms due to their performance.  While each company will have different management philosophies, I would urge the Salesperson to have an private open discussion with their Sales Manager on this.  Allow the Manager to explain what they are asking for and why they think it's important.  Hopefully, you will hear more than 'it's company policy.'  Remember, part of being a Super Achiever is always having an open mind to new ideas, feedback and improvement.  Now for your second point.  Attempting to sell your clients your full menu of services with no regard for their needs is not how you develop trusting relationships.  Trusting relationships are based on the foundation of integrity.  They lead to repeat sales, referrals, unsolicited testimonials and clients who want you to do well because they respect and admire you.  Your sales career be best built on solid principles and values.  We all know the cliché - if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.  Thanks Jack!  I hope I helped...

• 193 posts
    July 13, 2013 4:59 PM PDT

Thanks for commenting Roger!  Glad to hear that your team of veteran Salespeople is always open to learning.   I've always felt that if you're not moving ahead, you're probably going backward.  I'm always open to new opportunities involving training.  If you might send me an email at [email protected] giving me your contact number, I'd love to have a conversation.  Thanks!

• 1 posts
    August 12, 2013 6:59 PM PDT

Hi

I have my own advertising ageny  Delhi and providing online marketing services since 2005. Current we have stared radio advertising and want to grow our business. This post is very helpful for me, but I want to know how we can gain maximum from Indian market. Please provide us some tips and trick so that we will enhance our business