The 10 Top Things I Learned As A Sales Manager

• 193 posts
    September 24, 2013 5:58 PM PDT

It takes many qualities to be a successful Sales Manager. Making your sales budgets is the ultimate goal. Do that and earn the respect of your Sales Team and you will be someone who is remembered and discussed many years later.

For those of you aspiring to move into Management, ask your Sales Manager what they wish they would've known from the start of their management career. Chances are you'll get a smile, a deep breath and a pensive, thoughtful moment from your boss. Listen carefully, you're about to learn some valuable lessons.

Bigstock -Top ---8656495 (2)

Here are the 10 Top things I can pass on...

1.  Understand the difference between Management and Leadership. Managers manage people. Leaders teach people to manage themselves through empowerment, self-accountability and sincerity.

2.  You can teach anyone the industry. You can't teach passion, enthusiasm and drive to have personal standards higher than your employers.

3.  Don't solve everyone's problems. Teach them to solve their own and emulate you. Strategize with your sales team to come up with group solutions. They will support what they help create.

4.  There are three motivators for Salespeople. A higher income, pride and confidence with an increasing skill set, and having fun on the job. Each Salesperson has a different order of importance. Give them those three things and they won't leave you.

5.  Stop trying to save Salespeople who aren't investing time and effort in their career. You're robbing the people who need and want your efforts.

6.  Don't try to sell Salespeople. Be direct, open and straightforward. Tell them the facts and what needs to be done.

7.  Appreciate the Salespeople that don't agree with you. You'll learn from them if you listen, don't interrupt and keep an open mind.

8.  Have the tough conversations needed with Salespeople, your Boss and your clients.

9.  Lead by example and don't forget what it was like to be a Salesperson. Don't change your philosophies the day you become a Sales Manager.

10.  Finally, don't ever take anything too personal.  Ask yourself, will this issue even be something I remember six months from now? Laughing at yourself is therapeutic.

What would you like to pass on as a Sales Manager? What do you wish you knew the first day you started? What can Sales Managers do better? I really urge you to leave a comment - unanimously, if you prefer.

One of our post popular PROSALESGUY TRAINING Programs is Fast Track Sales Management. It's an intensive, six month on the job training program where you receive real-time consultation and practical feedback on what you're currently dealing with as a Sales Manager. Feel free to click the link below....

If you found this article useful, I'd love your feedback in the comment section.  The more we share, the more we all learn. 

Thanks!

Pro Sales Guy Logo

www.prosalesguy.ca%2Fblog%2Fcontainer%2F2013%2Fjanuary%2F12%2Fdo-managers-need-more-training.aspx&screen_name=DavidWarawa&tw_p=followbutton&variant=2.0" target="_self">Follow@DavidWarawa

Sales Training Victoria

Sales Training Vancouver

Sales Training Calgary

Sales Training Edmonton

Sales Training British Columbia

Sales Training Alberta

Sales Training Vancouver Island