An interesting exercise

• 33 posts
    February 11, 2014 12:26 PM PST

Here’s an interesting exercise …

If you left your job tomorrow, what would your employer do?

Would you be replaced, or would your departure create an opportunity for the business to change the way it operates?

Would you not be replaced?

Whichever scenario you think most likely also presents you with an opportunity.

For instance, if your position could be dispensed with, why not be pro-active and go to your manager with a proposal to do away with your role?

In several companies, I’ve had staff come to me with suggestions of how their jobs could be phased out, saving the cost of their salary. Of course, they did this because they trusted me not to pack them on their way with a redundancy check, but to reward them with new roles in the business.

In each case, the company was left better off and the employee benefited.

If you’re confident your employer would replace you, what do you think they would pay to attract someone with the same levels of your ability, experience and potential?

Whatever that figure is, I’d argue it should be what you’re being paid now.

If you’re being paid less than that, it may be an opportune time to ask for a raise.

But first, make sure of your facts. Be sure that you understand the market rate if your employer sought to replace you.

If you are already being paid what you’re worth, this exercise has at least helped you realise it …

One last thought: if you shuddered at the prospect of either suggesting a revamp of your role or asking for a pay rise because of the reaction of your manager, maybe it’s time to start working on your own Plan B.

This article written by Josh Easby- a contributing writer on www.talkingmediasales.com