How to Get the “Wow” Response from Customers - by John Chapin

• 1373 posts
    February 27, 2014 11:19 AM PST

How to Get the “Wow” Response from Customers

by John Chapin

The e-mail came in at 9:07 p.m. and I responded immediately. The customer response: “Wow! That was quick. Thanks. Trying to get my staff to deliver those "wow" moments myself.”

The truth is, these days it’s easier than ever to create the “wow” response with customers mostly because customer service, follow-up, and all related business protocol leave so much to be desired. Not only are most companies not delivering “wow” service, most are failing to meet even average expectations. Even though it’s easier than ever to get noticed, there are some definite steps to making sure you step up, stand out, and deliver the WOW.

4 Steps for Getting to “WOW”

Step 1: Be completely committed.
    Wowing the customer begins with a complete and total commitment to the customer and making sure they have a fantastic experience. Without a total commitment, you won’t have the energy, excitement, and creativity you need to make “wow” a reality. No prima donna, “I’m-doing-the-customer-a-favor” attitudes here. You must have a “customer-is-always-right”, “go-above-and-beyond”, and “do-whatever-it-takes” attitude.

Step 2: Be responsive.
    As with the e-mail in the opening example, you have to do the unexpected and a big part of that is being super-responsive. Part of being super-responsive is responding quickly and outside of normal business hours and normal business days. I’ve heard people say, “If I respond too quickly, people will think I’m not busy and thus must not be that good.” Take it from a #1 sales rep for 26+ years, I’ve always run my business by responding as soon as possible and it has paid huge dividends. In fact, it’s one of the things I’ve gotten the most compliments on and it adds greatly to the trust, credibility, and likeability factor. In fact, I’ve made such an impression on people by answering my phone and e-mail during off hours that several people have decided to do business with me for that reason alone.

It’s simple, if you are in sales and customer service, your objective should be to deliver the best service possible and part of that is responding quickly. Additionally, I’ve never known a consistent, high-level producer who wasn’t responsive. The more time that elapses between the moment someone contacts you and the moment you respond, the more bad things can happen.

One of the things that sets me apart is that I tell people I have 24/7 customer service. I say, “If you have insomnia and it’s 3 a.m., call my cell phone. Hopefully I remembered to put it on silent and I’ll call you back when I wake up. However, if I do leave the ringer on, and it rings, I’ll answer it.” It’s simple: I know there are maybe one or two people out there with that kind of commitment, that’s why I do it. Most people say, “I only answer my phone during business hours.” That’s fine, just realize you’ll never beat your competitor who’s completely committed and super-responsive to the customer.

Step 3: Be proactive.

Keep open, active communication with the customer and stay out ahead of any issues. If there is a price reduction, rate decrease, or anything else that can help them, pick up the phone and let them know. Once you’re responding to a call about a better price, better rate, or better anything elsewhere, you’re on defense and behind the eight ball and this makes your battle to keep the business that much more difficult. And all this is assuming they called you and didn’t simply switch to the competition without letting you know.

Also, build strong, solid relationships that can withstand a mistake or two, or an all-out onslaught from the competition. It’s simple, your friends will pick up the phone before leaving you for something better. In addition, you will miss a delivery, botch an order, or make another mistake if you work with someone long enough. If you’ve proactively built the iron-clad relationship ahead of time, you’ll be able to weather a storm or two.

Step 4: Be original and creative.
    The dental rep who hand-delivers emergency items the same-day so clients don’t have to reschedule patients and have dentists with empty schedules, stands out from the competitor who Fed. Exes the product for next-day delivery. The sales rep at an installation after midnight helping the installers anyway possible and giving the customer updates, stands out from the competitor who’s never been to an installation and doesn’t even know there’s an issue. The banking equipment sales rep who drives by an ATM on the weekend, notices it isn’t working, and proactively calls his company’s service department, stands out from the competitor who drives by and either doesn’t notice or says, “I’m sure they already know about it and they have people that handle that anyway. And besides, it’s the weekend and I’m not working.”

These examples could go under being responsive or being proactive, but they also take original thought and some creativity. You’ve got to constantly ask yourself how you can deliver more service, better service, and be different in a good way. How can you stand out and show extraordinary commitment? What can you do to let the customer know you care, that they are important to you, and that you will do whatever you can to make their experience exceptional?

As with most other things in life, the most important ingredient here is attitude. If you have the right attitude and are determined to do whatever it takes to “wow” your customers, the wows will naturally and abundantly flow.

John Chapin is a professional sales speaker and trainer. For his free newsletter, or if you would like him to speak at your next event, go to: www.completeselling.com John has over 26 years of sales experience as a number one sales rep and is the author of the 2010 sales book of the year: Sales Encyclopedia. For permission to reprint, e-mail: [email protected].