Different sales packages

• 21 posts
    March 13, 2015 7:44 AM PDT

Hi Everyone, being pretty new to sales, I always seem to sell packages for events a little too late. How far in advance should I be focusing on selling Easter, Sports, Holiday, Halloween packages?

Thanks,

Austin

• 21 posts
    March 17, 2015 12:50 PM PDT

Any help would be great... newby here

• 1373 posts
    March 17, 2015 1:26 PM PDT

Hey Austin!  I'll be featuring your discussion in this week's newsletter - goes out on Thursday evening/Friday morning - so you should get some helpful input at least by then.

• 21 posts
    March 18, 2015 6:19 AM PDT

Thank you Rebecca!

• 170 posts
    March 20, 2015 8:14 AM PDT

It's actually the best idea -  when you have the client in or as a follow-up to a CNA - to provide a calendar of all station promotions within the context of what seasons, holidays or times of year are important to the client and what have they done historically for these windows. We have an actual calendar one-sheet for this.  It generates a direct discussion with a client re: making promotional plans yearly. They see it as a sort of promotional menu from which to start talking with you. You explain that sometimes something you already have will fit with what they want to accomplish, sometimes you will design a promotion with them but need to know what they want to accomplish over what period of time.  Talking promotion over the span of the upcoming year also allows a client to make plans with personal or inventory or giveaways, to set aside the funds for the event/promotion. You'll find this does not preclude selling normal airtime between promotions but does provide the client with and encourage the client to make plans with you.

We have signature promotions we do that with great price points thru-out the year. We also develop campaigns or promotions for clients for particular products, particular times of year.  We have a promotion that targets students from the local college, a bridal show, a country music stage show in the summer, etc.  We have done the office invasion (food for 20 people in an office or workspace) with delivery by our morning guy (this is great for at-work listenership). For example, this area is a weekend destination area with lakes, boating, fishing so we do a Memorial 500 song  countdown over the Memorial weekend -  a key weekend when cottagers open up for the summer and schools are getting out, people are looking for things to do, where to find this or that, spending time driving around incars, grilling in the backyard with the radio on, et al.  When we present this, we also present July 4 and Labor Day -  because the timing and packages are all based on the same premise.  The majority of Memorial weekend participants take one or both of the other weekends as well when presented this way.  We added this year, because of the very long and white winter, a 'Countdown to Spring' multi-month til-the-snow-is-gone campaign.  It's a kind of get the idea of spring and your role in it out there early premise. Landscapers, lake-related and small engine clients love it and signed on right away. The format of the promotion also initiated discussion of what comes after this promotion runs out in May.

The basic idea is then that you do not present one thing at one time -  you always identify the client needs and present a promotional schedule along with whatever airtime schedule or sponsorships you have in mind for ongoing advertising. They may not immediately agree to ideas you have that are 6 or 10 months away but they know what their options are and what is available from you. Remind them 2 months out if they have not committed to a promotion you think would be good for them or they expressed an interest in. So when one of your competitors comes in, this client is not sold out from under you. You won't keep getting the 'oh, I already decided to go with... for Easter'.

• 21 posts
    March 20, 2015 10:44 AM PDT

Good stuff here!  Many years ago, in my first radio job, I was also on the street in sales and it seemed like the owners were always a day late and a dollar short with seasonal promotions.  

• 54 posts
    March 21, 2015 8:39 AM PDT

Austin, when I sold radio I often used an "opportunity grid". The basic idea is an Excel spreadsheet or something similar. In the far left column I'd list every account you're calling on. Along the top I'd list every package we had in the works, along with upcoming holidays. 

Once all of those things were filled in, I'd make an "x" in every box where I thought that the opportunity and client matched up well. If the event was happening within the next four months, I'd highlight that box in yellow. 

The yellow boxes would generate immediate calls for an appointment -- I liked to work about four months out on actively selling opportunities. The phone call would only be for getting an in-person appointment... I wouldn't tell the client the idea over the phone, but I'd relate it to a goal that they'd mentioned in a CNA ("You mentioned that you liked to associate yourself with local school events. We've got something coming up that I think would fit well with that -- could we get together next Tuesday afternoon to talk about it?"

Diane's idea for presenting the station promotional calendar during a general meeting is also a very good one for uncovering hot buittons and interests. As Diane pointed out, it is most effective after you've already done a needs analysis

• 13 posts
    August 9, 2016 5:49 AM PDT

would love to see your grid... ? Thanks!