Making Relationships

• 21 posts
    October 10, 2016 1:16 PM PDT

This is a newly formatted radio station in the area. We are the number 1 listened to radio station in the area. 

The economy is tough right now, but we are wanting to really make a name for ourselves and potentially be able to start making money... it is super hard to make profit because we have had to lower our prices...

DO RADIO STATIONS EVER JUST GO OUT TO EVENTS FOR FREE AND BUILD RELATIONSHIPS AND PROMOTE COMMUNITY EVENTS FOR FREE????

AUSTIN

• October 14, 2016 9:14 AM PDT

A few things:

On promotions, HELL YES.  We always forget that we have to advertise our product and one of the best ways to do that is to show up everywhere!  We also send bills to every PSA and Non Profit we do something for, zeroed out at the end but showing our contribution.  

We also seek out things where the people we want to sell to are members.  If the local Rotary Club is doing and event and the chairman of the bank sits on that board, we are there and we are talking to HIM.  Make him look good to his reports and he will repay the favor one day.

Lastly:  Radio ads are a COMMODITY (what the crap I take on this).  We are lumped in with other radio stations, shoppers, newspaper, TV etc..  We are seen as profit vampires!  So how do you get out of this?  STOP SELLING ADS!!!!   Start selling IDEAS.  Every time you go out and present a buy, present three fully produced SPEC ads...  best they can be now just rip and read, and for God's sake, not just written copy.  How do you know what to write?  Check their web site, their Facebook Page, their YELP page and use what you learned on the CNA (You did do a CNA right?).  How do you get in for the CNA?

rings.... ring.....  "His this is Chris Rolando from the radio stations.  I have done some preliminary research on your business and I think that by working together you and I may both be able to put a few coins in our pockets.  But there are a few specifics I need from you to help me figure this out.  I need 15 minutes and I have some time on Tuesday after 3.  Can I come see you?  Oh and Bob... my garantee, I won't waste tyou time and I won't waste your money".

1)  DO THE RESEARCH

2)  LEARN THE BUSINESS

3)  DON'T GET INTO A LONG CONVERSATION

4)  "Are you trying to sell me something?"  "Not this time.  I don't even know if your product will work on my radio stations which is why I need just 15 minutes....