Friday Poll: Movies for Radio Advertising Salespeople

• 1373 posts
    January 21, 2010 9:18 PM PST
    Happy Friday, all!

This week's poll question is inspired by the fact that my dad, Rod, on two separate occasions held sales meetings in which he showed the 1990 film Crazy People.

So here's the question:

If you were going to show one movie for a sales meeting, which movie would you pick – and why?

Looking forward to your replies - thank you!
    • 52 posts
    January 21, 2010 10:54 PM PST
    "Glengary Glen Ross." Make everyone appreciate their jobs! ;-)
    • 58 posts
    January 22, 2010 2:55 AM PST
    "The Pursuit of Happyness"
    • 5 posts
    January 22, 2010 4:33 AM PST
    Although some may be offended by the language, the Alec Baldwin scene in "Glen Gary Glen Ross" is still hard hitting. "Tommy Boy" has some great scenes on closing business. A movie I believe called "Meat Men" starring Ray Romano and Kevin James is a great sales person movie. I know the question was asking for one movie so the most recent movie "The Goods", although related to car sales has some great scenes of salesmanship and quite funny too.
    • 2 posts
    January 22, 2010 5:12 AM PST
    Rudy . . . its all about wanting something, getting knocked down and personal triumph.
    • 7 posts
    January 22, 2010 5:48 AM PST
    I would show Tommy Boy with Chris Farley and David Spade. If you set your mind to it, you can do anything, one of my favorite movies.....
    • 4 posts
    January 22, 2010 6:10 AM PST
    Door to Door with William H Macy, showing that anyone can sell it is that relationship
  • January 22, 2010 6:18 AM PST
    I'm with laurie, I'd show Tommy Boy! With Chris Farley, Because it shows that you can reach your goal if you work at what you believe in.
    • 2 posts
    January 22, 2010 6:24 AM PST
    Jerry McGuire----SHOW ME THE MONEY;)
  • January 22, 2010 6:56 AM PST
    Field of Dreams! "If you build it, they will come!"- I think believing that something can be better is a big mindset.

It would be that or "The Rookie" with Dennis Quaid. That movie really touched me in that it is NEVER too late to pursue your dreams even though people don't understand at first that you can do it. If you have the confidence to put yourself out there, others will follow.
    • 3 posts
    January 22, 2010 7:16 AM PST
    Pursuit of Happiness! That man had it bad, but he Never, Never, Never Gave Up!!
  • January 22, 2010 7:18 AM PST
    Glengarry GlenRoss...or Tommy Boy...would be my favorites
    • 1 posts
    January 22, 2010 7:57 AM PST
    Wall Street, Cold calling does pay off!
    • 8 posts
    January 22, 2010 8:05 AM PST
    I'll agree with Gary......RUDY.....the movie taught me to never quit!! Work hard and good things will happen to you. Also to do something you love to do, not to get stuck in a dead end job that you don't like, to follow your dreams.
  • January 22, 2010 8:10 AM PST
    The Laughter Movie or anything similiar from Simpletruths.com. Short, sweet, entertaining....to the point. After all "time is money." http://www.thelaughtermovie.com
    • 30 posts
    January 22, 2010 8:10 AM PST
    The Pursuit of Happiness - Will Smith.

Based on a true story, this movie is a testament to "never quit".
    • 993 posts
    January 22, 2010 8:23 AM PST
    Crazy People was funny - an interesting perspective on the creative process. I once saw a similar movie in 1969 called Putney Swope. Seems to have slipped into obscurity, probably deservedly so. It was a dark comedy about a little revolution in an advertising agency -- think Shaft meets Crazy People. Interesting responses so far. I find myself saying, Yeah...YEAH! We'll have to put together a list of all the titles and file it under "Resources."
    • 180 posts
    January 22, 2010 9:21 AM PST
    Oddly enough I just showed the Alec Baldwin scene from Glengary Glen Ross 2 weeks ago. Offensive language, yes! But remember the rule. ABC. Always be closing.
    • 4 posts
    January 22, 2010 9:50 AM PST
    WOW!!! Not a single vote for Wall-Street! That's mine, I love how Bud Fox didn't quit until he "bagged the elephant". Maybe the whole breaking the law thing kept it off peoples list??
    • 58 posts
    January 22, 2010 11:08 AM PST
    I would show 2 movies...the Pursuit of Happyness and Facing the Giants. Facing the Giants is all about your attitude and integrity and not giving up. The Pursuit of Happyness is all about persistence and working smarter not harder. Those would be my pics. Crazy People is funny but...I can't quite get the sales connection. Maybe I need to watch it again. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Julie Slanaker
    Ketchikan, AK
  • January 23, 2010 7:55 AM PST
    Boiler Room. Loved the movie and loved this quote: "And there is no such thing as a no sale call. A sale is made on every call you make. Either you sell the client some stock or he sells you a reason he can't. Either way a sale is made, the only question is who is gonna close? You or him? Now be relentless, that's it, I'm done." There is a lot of stuff to learn in this movie, and even more not to learn!
    • 19 posts
    January 23, 2010 4:27 PM PST
    I would show any film that would get the group laughing. Once I de-stressed the room, I do my sales meeting. Happy, smiling, laughing salespeople can get great great results.

Alan Rock
    Orlando, FL
  • January 25, 2010 4:49 AM PST
    An incredible movie with just three people in the cast is The Big Kahuna. It stars Danny DeVeto, Kevin Spacy and some other guy. The three are in a hotel room waiting to make a big sale that just does not come. But the new guy is a bit cocky and opinionated and challenged Spacy the real salesman in the room.

There are not too many "ah ha" moments, rather an entire story that is so worth watching for everyone in sales, especially someone who has been in the business about a year and starts to believe they know better than the old dogs.

I have taught using Glengary Glen Ross and Tommy boy as comic relief,. But the BEST sales moments in any movie are in The Music Man. Thorw the story away and watch thing like Robert Preston walking up to people in Iowa trying to start a conversation, or attempting to make the Mayor's needs align with what he sells.
    • 7 posts
    January 25, 2010 11:09 AM PST
    Door to door with William H Macy.
    • 3 posts
    January 25, 2010 12:28 PM PST
    I think Michael J. Fox 'The Secret of My Success' is a good one...and who can forget 'high fidelity' with John Cussack...I agree on Pursuit of Happyness and Rudy and Tommy boy is just hilarious~!