For The New Salesperson

• 118 posts
    January 8, 2021 4:16 PM PST

I went kicking and screaming to sales from behind the microphone. I believed I was just not a salesman. Luckily I had a good boss.

My first lesson was: don't go after the sale. Take an attitude of working for your client's continued success and the sales will come.

Invest time to get to know the client and more importantly let them get to know you. They will need time to build a relationship and build trust. It was described as dating. One date doesn't wind up at the alter. Count on 5 to 7 visits to be known and remembered. Always distinguish yourself as being willing to work harder. The person that goes above and beyond doesn't get the axe when cuts are made.

Listen. Write things down. Say their words in your visits so they know you are listening.

Be honest and beyond reproach. Have the guts to look the client in the eye on results. Have the guts to attempt persuading the client when they are headed in the wrong direction. I can say this: if radio doesn't work it's always the message. If you let the client send out the wrong message, it is next to impossible to get them to try radio again.

Be consistent. Check with your clients regularly. Feel free to bring them an idea. The truth is they likely have thought of it or tried it, but that's not the point. It shows them you are thinking about them and are in sync with them. 

I like to put my client first and the radio station second. I believe if I do the best for my client, my station with have a regular customer. 

Don't be afraid to acknowledge other media. I never tell clients they made a mistake in their media choices. I simply acknowledge other media as good choices and then try to sway the dollars to the plan I want to sell (and that lets some dollars go elsewhere).

It might feel like it goes very slowly but it will pay off. Don't be discouraged. For every no, it means that yes is so much closer. 

And if you visit and your client is acting like a jerk, quickly retreat and come back another time. Some clients have really rough days. Don't take it personally. Where that has happened to me, that client and I went on to an exceptional relationship.

• 1373 posts
    January 11, 2021 11:55 AM PST

Bill, great advice - thank you for this thoughtful post!

• 68 posts
    July 20, 2023 3:24 PM PDT
    Chilling fact: 14% of your current customers will leave you this year and every year thereafter. That will leave a bruise, especially if you are not proactively pursuing new prospects! You can contact more people in two hours per week with Tele-Prospecting than driving around for a month while your competitors are flat-footed and still waiting for their phones to ring! Disclaimer: Nothing beats an in-person sales call. Break free from the fear and frustration holding you and your team back from effective and consistent prospecting and accelerate local direct sales. In small to medium markets, 68% or more of radio sales are local. Every new local sale is reflected directly on the bottom line. Use diligent prospecting to fill your pipeline with high-quality opportunities. Ninety-nine percent of sales slumps can be directly attributed to a failure to prospect. This is an old concept, just re-invented.

Pick up the damn phone NOW! The number one reason for failure in sales is an empty pipeline and the root cause is the failure to prospect consistently. The more you consistently prospect, the luckier you are, enhancing your competitive edge!

Every day that goes by, money is lost! Religiously block time for Tele-Prospecting. We call it Golden Time and set and adhere to a sacred block of time. Let nothing get in the way.