Spec Spots? Too old school for you?

• May 9, 2011 4:21 PM PDT

Two weeks ago I presented a $48,000 annual to a medical place.  In with the schedule and the station crap that we stuff every presentation with there was a CD with five spec spots.  The order is not yet signed but this is the email I got today:

Hello Chris-

I love the ads you have put together for our clinics. I shared them with John and he liked them as well. He does have a few things he would like to incorporate into the ads.

The "Stacy Martin" ad- instead of "decade of experience"- he is asking for "extensive experience".

For the I-Dexa ad, he believes the public needs more education for reason for have a scan done. For  example- suspicious falls, achy bones...

The ad numbered #473KB - too much like an urgent care- cant use "same day appts"- can use something like "We strive to get you in immediately".

If we could incorporate that all our providers are "parents", that would be nice.

Hope your day is Super!
    So... do you think I'll get the order? 
    WHY do sales managers teach anything but selling with SPEC ads?  I have seen places where they tell the rep "show em the copy and if they like it, cut the ad when they buy".  With that kind of thinking, there is no need for car dealerships... just a small room  with a catelog.  If you like it on paper, just pay for it and they'll deliver the final product.
    I look forward to any dissenting opinions.

• Tom
    • 19 posts
    May 9, 2011 6:30 PM PDT

I have used your advice on this twice...

both times resulted in an order...not 48k..but an order nonetheless....

In fact, the 2nd time was today.....1500 a month with a 6 month commitment...on one of my stations...and a plan in place to sign them to 3k per month on my other station after May is up...because it will work so well they won't know what to do.

I have also used your advice on other occasions such as changing copy weekly.....or at least often enough to keep it fresh...and also on owning a day part or a weekday for those with less of a desirable budget.

What I'm trying to say is this:

thanks for your advice, sorry to hijack your post....and please pretty please send me an email with a link to a video of

your Swiss Army knife training....I have watched the "annual buys" video so much I can quote it verbatim...

Thanks sir.

• 993 posts
    May 10, 2011 4:59 PM PDT
    Using spec spots gets us to the heart of the matter (as your client's email illustrates), eliminates any lingering doubts as to the quality of the commercials the client gets when he signs, and in the long run saves a ton of time.  Failing to present them because a) it takes time to research, write and produce them and/or b) there's no guarantee of an order is, in my opinion, a false economy.  Good post, Chris.
  • May 13, 2011 6:08 AM PDT
    Jane:  I love the VM thing.  There are so many businesses that close at exactly 5 and you can leave a Voice Mail of nothing more than the spot on there and your cell number!
    • 41 posts
    May 13, 2011 7:09 AM PDT

Great post. Sounds to me that they have made the buy...once they start talking about the changes  they want in the script I think you're in.

I started selling Radio in 1974.  Was out of the biz for amost 30 years and recently returned. And while the technology has certainly moved forward, having an audio example, no matter the format, is the best way to show a client how the radio can visualize his/her business.  Hadn't thought about leaving an ad on their voice mail, but it is a very good idea indeed.

• 13 posts
    May 16, 2011 8:02 PM PDT
    Excellent !!! Right on the button !!!
    • 11 posts
    May 17, 2011 1:55 PM PDT

I think we all agree that we are in an industry of tremendous value and ability.  We also have some unique challenges that other industries reliant on sales don’t face.  We have an intangible product that our prospective clients can’t see, touch, smell, feel or show their friends.

Trying to sell a radio campaign with out playing a spec spot would be like trying to sell someone you’ve never met a car they’ve never heard of over the phone 3,000 miles away.  You might get lucky, but a test drive tends to work a bit better.

If a client says “No” to a campaign you’ve proposed without hearing the concept you had envisioned for them, they are saying “No” to something they don’t fully understand. 

USE SPEC SPOTS...DO IT.

• 13 posts
    May 17, 2011 2:58 PM PDT

Jane:

I'm new here. Spec spots are THE ONLY WAY TO GO. I have 85-90% closing using them.

• 37 posts
    June 2, 2011 10:48 AM PDT
    I'm thinking it's time to change my mind on this.  I'll do specs with every presentation from now on.
    • 6 posts
    June 13, 2011 9:10 AM PDT

Jane.

Thanks for the great idea.

How do you play the ad on their voicemail and keep the sound quality high?

I have tried to play spots over the phone to clients but they all said they really could'nt hear them.

• 24 posts
    February 12, 2016 6:37 AM PST

I'll be the voice of dissent on this one. Most spec spots feature fill-in-the-blank generic copy that really doesn't speak about the client, or their business. Their business CATEGORY perhaps, but not their business. 

You can't create a truly effective ad about a business without a proper uncovery to learn about the business, their story, the wonderful little nugget that makes you want to give them copious amounts of your hard-earned dollars. 

Yes, if all you're concerned about is getting their money and getting out the door, specs can help you. But if you want to build a lasting and mutually-beneficial relationship as their trusted media advisor, they're snake oil. 

The also tie up your writer(s) and producer(s) needlessly ... creating ads that most often will never air, or will need to be revised to actually reflect what the client wants vs. what you HOPE they want in their ads. 

We quit doing spec spots YEARS ago, because they weren't worth the time and wasted effort. But if all you're looking for is to take their money and run ... spec on.

**dons protective flame suit**

• February 12, 2016 7:20 AM PST

to:  The Radio Ad Writer

I believe you may have missed something critical here.  SPEC ads are not at all generic.  By the time the rep has gotten down to writing ads, they have already checked on line for a company web site.  Looked for the business on Facebook.  Visited unofficially.  Check Yelp and other ratings sites and researched the category.  Most times the things that get changed in the spec ads are minor and we move forward.

As for wasting the copy writers or the producers time...   they are on salary.  I am paying them if they are working or sitting.

• 89 posts
    June 15, 2016 7:44 PM PDT

I don't think that Chris is suggesting you present a spec ad before the uncovery. Sometimes it's a way to get in the door. But more often than not, meeting #1 is the uncovery, meeting #2 is the presentation -- during which you present the spec because since the uncovery, you've gone back to the station and created a "draft" if you will of an ad that speaks to what you learned in the uncovery.

And Chris is correct, production is on a salary. Working more than 40-50 hours per week because sales reps are having spec ads cut for their sales presentations is part of the game.