Friday Poll: What Are Your Favorite Smartphone Apps?

• 1373 posts
    January 19, 2012 10:53 PM PST

Happy Friday, everyone!  Today we revisit a topic from January 2012*: smartphone apps.  Last time we asked about apps specifically for sales. Today, we broaden it a bit.

This week's poll question:

What are your favorite smartphone apps, for business or for fun?

Looking forward to reading your replies!

*In January 2012, the iTunes App Store received 16,103 app submissions.  Last January, that number was 50,750. No wonder it's hard to keep up with apps!

• 11 posts
    January 19, 2012 11:41 PM PST

TuneIn Radio.  It cost $1.99 but worth every penny Click here to check it out.  You can listen to every radio station in the world that streams. 

• 6 posts
    January 20, 2012 6:11 AM PST

iRIG....production software for your iphone....you can have your client VO a spot into your iphone....good quality.....nice tool for spec spots...

• 37 posts
    January 20, 2012 6:46 AM PST

I use a few.

iPhone - MileageHD, Dropbox, Log me In, iProRecorder

iPad - Sales Beaver, Docs to Go, Pages, Dropbox, CloudOn, SignNSend, Log me in

• 11 posts
    January 20, 2012 11:56 AM PST

I second Sean's entry...couldn't live without Dropbox, iProRecorder, LogMeIn..but also use Evernote a LOT and LinkedIn app to keep in touch with everyone.

• 37 posts
    January 20, 2012 12:08 PM PST

I use TuneIn to listen to my hobby web station during lunch.  Dropbox is also fantastic.  Many of those mentioned seem to be iPhone apps, though...I need recommendations for my Droid!

• 5 posts
    January 20, 2012 10:44 PM PST

I highly recommend on your iPhone or iPad, a free application called ZITE.  It searches the internet constantly for articles, blogs and entries based on your personal interests.  ZITE will allow you to feed your Twitter, Facebook or social media entries into its search engine and tailor a customized on-line magazine that is 100% created for you as an individual.  It also gives you the ability of sending these articles via email to a client or you can also tweet these or send them to your LinkedIn account.  Through its SEO, you can have the convenience of being the ultimate resource to your clients without all the work required.  You can also pick specialized categories and add them to your menu.  Check this app out.  It's worth paying money for - the kicker is that it's free.  

• 180 posts
    January 23, 2012 12:23 PM PST

Tune in also lets you listen to your own station. This is great when the client tells you he can't pick you up.

On an unrelated topic, the iPhone is also great for playing spec spots.

• 180 posts
    January 23, 2012 12:27 PM PST

I recommend you toss the Droid and get an iPhone.

• 37 posts
    January 23, 2012 4:30 PM PST

Joe, 

Not gonna happen until the job situation gets much better. Thanks anyway.

• 3 posts
    January 25, 2012 7:27 PM PST
    On iPad the keynote has been very useful, and has been easy to create proposals.
    • 33 posts
    January 25, 2012 9:04 PM PST

Angry birds... helps the tension

• 37 posts
    January 26, 2012 5:54 AM PST

That is one I am going to have to look at using more. Never thought about using Keynote for that. I am almost completely iPad now and very little paper. I love it. Customers think it's pretty cool that we can work together on their traffic and they can sign the contract right on the screen.

• 8 posts
    August 16, 2013 5:07 AM PDT

drive safe.ly

this free app reads incoming email sender, subject line, and first sentences.  you know you are NOT supposed to look while your driving, but you do!  Get this and save your life and others around you!

• 7 posts
    August 16, 2013 5:12 AM PDT

We use the Hindenburg app almost every day. It is a studio quality recorder. We use it to record clients' commercials on location and for news sound bites. The free app allows you to record for one minute. You can upgrade for $30 for unlimited recording. You can edit on the app and share your files via email, SoundCloud and iTunes. Give a it a try.

• 1 posts
    August 16, 2013 5:34 AM PDT

Dropbox - simply put your audio files (specs!) in the Dropbox, and you are ready to play your spec for the client.  No more boomboxes or small cd players.  And Dropbox is free!

• 23 posts
    August 16, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

Because I am terrible at math, I use an app called "percentage calculator." Frequently. It's a fill in the blank kind of thing.

What is X% of X? Good for figuring commissions, and how far you have to go to reach a dollar goal etc. Also use an ROI calculator for quickly figuring a return for a schedule. "TIMER" is good for reading scripts for time. Enter 10, 30 or 60 secs, read the script and it "DINGS" when times up. Helps time our your copy. I use Tune-In radio also. Good for playing your station in a meeting when clients are not familiar with your station or format.

• 16 posts
    August 16, 2013 7:57 AM PDT

There are plenty that bring great value and some I use much more than others but my favorite business app is CardMunch. It allows me to take a picture of a card, hit upload and someone, somewhere enters the data and I have a contact entered. Pretty cool.

My favorite app on my phone is the Spider Game. I love solving problems and this game presents a puzzle for me to solve every time I open it. It's relaxing and me and my wife like to play the fireworks when we win a game. 

• 12 posts
    August 16, 2013 9:26 AM PDT

Our company uses a corporate Gmail account for our email, I also have loaded Drive (part of Gmail) for all my files.  I can get any file that would be on my work computer from anywhere I can get cell service on my phone.  I also use dropbox, but I reserve that for personal files.  I also have a speaker that sounds great and works from my phone to play spec commercials, works great, no more bulky boom boxes.

• 39 posts
    August 16, 2013 11:23 AM PDT
    1. Google Play - I upload many podcasts about sales, advertising, copywriting, etc. I always have it available when I'm in the car elsewhere
    2. Google Calendar - keep all my appointments there
    3. Google Voice - If appropriate, client can get a unique number and track results to their radio ads.
    4. Google Maps/Earth - helps me get to appointments and I can see what their business looks like before I go
    5. Adobe Reader - for reading radio related e-books and such
    6. LinkedIn

...I'm a droid user, and I'm sure I have not come close to tapping the full potential.

• 39 posts
    March 11, 2016 6:27 AM PST

I second that! With the "iRig Pre" and the app that comes with it, I can plug any condenser mic into my iPad/iPhone and get great quality. Gives me the flexibility to visit clients for VO work. Also good for "man on the street" interviews and interviewing customers of our clients (for spots). Last I checked it was $39, and the app is free with a "Pro" version available for purchase.

• 39 posts
    March 11, 2016 6:50 AM PST

I use an iRig Pre (hardware) and the app a lot. Google Analytics helps track response. Take a lot of notes in Evernote, but am starting to like MS OneNote as well, because you can draw right on the same page you're typing on. 

• 4 posts
    March 11, 2016 7:17 AM PST

Dropbox!  All commercials produced in production are archived to our server as well as Dropbox.  All members of the sales team are equipped with I-Pads & I-Phones and are able to play the commercials for their clients in the field.  They can also e-mail them to the client as well.  In addition, all sales packages, sales proposals, media kits etc are stored on Dropbox for retrieval by members of our sales staff.

• March 14, 2016 7:29 AM PDT

MileIQ makes tracking mileage a dream, for those who aren't company reimbursed for travel expenses!

• March 14, 2016 7:30 AM PDT

Or for those who have to submit business miles for reimbursement.  It's such a great app!