Friday Poll: What Are Your Favorite Smartphone Apps?

• 993 posts
    March 15, 2016 12:32 AM PDT

Our stations all have apps to facilitate listening to our stream on smartphones.  They're available at PullmanRadio.com and from the App Store/Google Play Store, also.  Makes sense to be available on the devices listeners carry with them all the time.

Been using Dropbox a lot for file sharing and storage. And although it's not really an app, WeTransfer.com is worth mentioning as a way to send up to 2GB worth of files from your email address to anyone else's. Nothing to join, and you can make as many 2GB sends as you need for free.

If you take pictures, Phhhoto is a fun app.  Open it, it lets you take several shots in quick succession, then turns them into an animated gif automatically. You can then save the animation, upload to FB, website, etc. Might be useful for promoting station events, advertisers, etc., in your social media, and it's just a lot of fun.  Frax is another one that I like. Lets you turn any image into a fractal and save it. Useful for graphic design backgrounds, etc. Sample below.

I use both Wave Pad and I Said What? for audio recording and editing from the iPhone. Not as high quality for critical recordings as a standalone digital recorder (I use a Zoom H4) but adequate for many purposes.

Police Scanner is useful for keeping track of local law enforcement and other transmissions.

For added security when using public wi-fi, VPN Defender seems to do a good job.

And I am totally sold on Dashlane for creating strong passwords and keeping track of all my passwords in a central location. Highly recommended. You can try it free for 30 days to decide if it's right for you.